Door gasket adhesive curing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I finally replaced the door gasket on my Jotul F3CB by using the Imperial Gasket Adhesive that came in the gasket kit. I did a good job cleaning out the old cement that had previously been used, installed the new gasket and closed the door to let it set up.

The instructions said to fire the stove with a low fire to cure the adhesive, but it was 95 degrees at the time and has been a couple weeks without doing this curing. Is not curing it within 12 hours going to have an affect? I'm thinking it dried in the first 12 hours and I can just cure it in the next week or two when I will probably have my first small fire here in Virginia.

Close door and let stand for 12 hours then fire applicance with a low fire and slowly increase heat to permanently cure the adhesive.

Door gasket adhesive curing

Well, since it sounds like the gasket's already on the stove, go ahead and try heating it. The worse that can happen is that it won't work, and you'd be scraping it off anyway. Curt