Door Gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

egclassic

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2011
SW Ohio
How long do they, typically, last?
Is there an online source that members here use to buy them?
My stove is only one year old, but I'm thinking maybe I should have a new set around just in case.
That is, unless they have a shelf life that is less than when I will really need them.
Thoughts?

How long they last depends on the stove. Some stoves might need door seals changed every yr and some may never need changed. No shelf life on the seal though.

Usually they will give you signs like glass blackening in an area of a poor seal, stove burning faster than normal, gasket literally falls off because you caught it w/ a piece of wood, etc.

Stuff won't go bad, if sealed the adhesive should last a long time too. If the OCD side of you will sleep better because of having it on hand, it wouldn't hurt a bit and should last a good long time.

Not all gasket is alike. There are high or low density versions. I'm not sure which is preferred by your stove, perhaps an owner could speak up or you could call the dealer / look on their website.

pen

Our last stove before the Fireview we had well over 20 years and changed the gaskets on the firebox and ash door exactly one time. Haven't yet done that with the Fireview and this is starting our 5th winter.

I maintain that the door gasket seal is not as important as it used to be. Most EPA stoves have unregulated secondary air always open, an "EPA hole" somewhere in them is unregulated with most of them blowing it into the fire under the door and the primary air washing over the door and the glass. A small leak in the door gasket ain't gonna be making a huge difference except for maybe staining/hazing the glass a little if it disturbs the airwash over the glass.

BrotherBart said:
I maintain that the door gasket seal is not as important as it used to be. Most EPA stoves have unregulated secondary air always open, an "EPA hole" somewhere in them is unregulated with most of them blowing it into the fire under the door and the primary air washing over the door and the glass. A small leak in the door gasket ain't gonna be making a huge difference except for maybe staining/hazing the glass a little if it disturbs the airwash over the glass.

But wouldn't a small leak combined with the "always open EPA hole" increase wood consumption?

egclassic said:
But wouldn't a small leak combined with the "always open EPA hole" increase wood consumption?

Not enough that you are going to notice. When you open the door to add wood or move a split you introduce more air than a small leak past a door gasket will let into the stove in a whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.