Door handle on VC Defiant 0028

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I finally let the fire go out, since I was traveling over the past week. This morning before getting it going again I decided to tighten the door handle....I just could not figure out how to do it. It is a large bolt going right through the door with a Allen key on the inside and a screw-on handle on the outside. Is there any trick to this???
Thanks

You'd think on an expensive stove like that they'd come up with a civilized way to adjust the front doors, but alas no. One simply UNSCREWS the handle/latch assy. one turn at a time until the doors close tighly. On newer Encores there is also a small screw w/allen head which prevents the handle/latch assy. from turning completely around and so must be removed to make the adjustment. Replace it when done if you wish. Very simple really, please don't think too hard about it. Sadly I find it difficult to make a "fine" adjustment, you just sort of get what you get. Good luck, and Happy Heating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.. turn it one revolution in either direction for tighter or looser. If it doesn't work and the doors are too loose, might be time for new door gaskets.
The adjustment on the ash pan door handle is more easily fine tuned.

Thanks Guys,

It seems, if I make one rotation (360*) with the handle...it is too tight, otherwise it is quite loose (I can latch it with my hand easily...cold stove of course). I did a $$ bill test back in Oct. and it seemed ok. The flames are quite more lively it appears, however if I turn the primary down totally I will still loose all the flame. To a point where sometimes the cat will stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.