1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Door latch lubricant

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by rdrcr56, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdrcr56

rdrcr56 New Member

What is the better lubricant for the door latch and hinges, copper or aluminum based anti-seize? I tried graphite but there is no corrosion protection, I have both so I'm just fishing for recommendation's.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I only ever use graphite powder on my stoves. Don't have any problem with corrosion. Rick
  3. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    My guess is 600 degrees is gonna ward off any moisture problem you encounter :lol:
  4. rdrcr56

rdrcr56 New Member

A thousand comedians out of a job and whoda thunk one of em was a wood burner :lol:
  5. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oh, there are more than one. Rick
  6. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Really I have heard using #2 pencil or powdered graphite. Not sure anything else should be used cause of possible fumes.
  7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Hum, concern never crossed my mind, guess I'm not thinking up to "par". I've never lubricated hinges on stoves/inserts... best I can tell they worked the same, maybe I'm missing something (again).
  8. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    The loading door on our Liberty is a pretty dang heavy thing, hanging from two hinges, which are not exactly precision machined, bushed and fit (this ain't the space shuttle). Over time, the hinges/hinge pins dry out and the door can sort of "stutter" just a little bit when opening/closing. A squirt of graphite powder a couple times a year keeps them working smoothly. Same thing with the door latch...it gets a little sticky after a while. Again, a little squirt of graphite powder and it's smooth. Rick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.