Door latch lubricant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
What is the better lubricant for the door latch and hinges, copper or aluminum based anti-seize? I tried graphite but there is no corrosion protection, I have both so I'm just fishing for recommendation's.

I only ever use graphite powder on my stoves. Don't have any problem with corrosion. Rick

My guess is 600 degrees is gonna ward off any moisture problem you encounter :lol:

A thousand comedians out of a job and whoda thunk one of em was a wood burner :lol:

Oh, there are more than one. Rick

Really I have heard using #2 pencil or powdered graphite. Not sure anything else should be used cause of possible fumes.

Hum, concern never crossed my mind, guess I'm not thinking up to "par". I've never lubricated hinges on stoves/inserts... best I can tell they worked the same, maybe I'm missing something (again).

The loading door on our Liberty is a pretty dang heavy thing, hanging from two hinges, which are not exactly precision machined, bushed and fit (this ain't the space shuttle). Over time, the hinges/hinge pins dry out and the door can sort of "stutter" just a little bit when opening/closing. A squirt of graphite powder a couple times a year keeps them working smoothly. Same thing with the door latch...it gets a little sticky after a while. Again, a little squirt of graphite powder and it's smooth. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.