Doorway corner fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metrowlogger

Dec 10, 2008
metrowest MA.
Greetings,
Can any one suggest a poweful fan that get installed inthe corner of the door way to move heat from one room to another.
I have one but I am not to crazy about the wind speed.

I use an old Computer Power Supply fan. I painted it white and it moves the air fine and no noise. As was said blow the cold air into the room with the stove.
Don

right now I am trying to move warm air into the the cold room. what is the logic of moving the cold air into the warm room as s couple of you folks have stated?

The logic is the warm air will fill the room and replace the cold air that you just pushed toward the stove on the floor. I was skeptical but it actually works.

metrowlogger said:
right now I am trying to move warm air into the the cold room. what is the logic of moving the cold air into the warm room as s couple of you folks have stated?

The natural air circulation is warm air at top, cold air at bottom. Cold air being more dense, also moves easier. Blow the cold air TO the stove at ground level and warm air will naturally replace it. This will also help with de-stratifying the air (hot at ceiling, cold at floor).

what everybody else has said.
the other plus is the fans that can sit on the floor are cheaper than the ones that go in the top corners of the door frame, and we consider ourselves frugal (read CHEAPSKATES).

Jags said:
metrowlogger said:

The natural air circulation is warm air at top, cold air at bottom. Cold air being more dense, also moves easier. Blow the cold air TO the stove at ground level and warm air will naturally replace it. This will also help with de-stratifying the air (hot at ceiling, cold at floor).

+1 . . . kind of sounds odd . . . but it really does work well.

+2. Jake says it well.

+1 this really works well. I've gone as far as to get a digital room thermometer down to the tenths so I could track any increase in temps. This time of year around here it's 50-60f outside during the day and 40-50f at night. On a sunny day the house will hold 69f all night. One room of the house loses heat faster (need to work on that) and is always 5-7 degrees colder than the rest. With NO fire I place the fan in the doorway of this room and in less than 2 hours raised the temp by about 3-4 degrees. Now thats air temp, it will take some time to get the walls and furniture up to that as-well but after it does that room will get even warmer and eventually get to 69.

Yes, I just tried this too. My living room where the stove is at is raised up about two
feet from the two rooms I wanted to heat. These two rooms are always cold this
time of year. Sending the cold air into the warm room works like a charm. I just tried
it while I was reading this thread. It was 69 f in the cold rooms . Now 15 minutes
later it is 74 f. It would have took me years to learn that on my own. As I am a
first time burner. Sweet!!!

The optimum set-up is to:

1. Pull lower settling cold air into the stove room thus pressurizing the stove room.
2. Have a ceiling fan (clockwise for winter) in a room closest to the stove.

The combination of the two has proved to maximize your heat distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.