Doorway fan to move heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
What kind are you guys using and how do they work. I plan to put one in the doorway of the room that has the insert. I have a small fan blowing cold air towards the room and want to mount one high in the doorway to move hot air out.

I us ceiling fans in combination with a upright stick fan behind the stove It will roast you out of the house if you do it right. Do you have a ceiling fan? If so set them to suck air up cold air settles down the walls so if the suck up they will move air in a natural pattern.

Good luck
Pete

I have an insert so I can't put a fan behind it. I have a ceiling fan in the room that the insert is in. I thought that a fan in another room on reverse would be the way to go. That I don't have.

Boom Stick said:
I have an insert so I can't put a fan behind it. I have a ceiling fan in the room that the insert is in. I thought that a fan in another room on reverse would be the way to go. That I don't have.

Set that ceiling fan to pull air up, set the fan blowing into a doorway from a cooler section of the home pointing it into the room where the stove is. You will start a natural convection of hot air out of the stove room, cool air coming in. When I set my fans like this, the toilet set in our master bath stays warm, if I don't have the fans on, the toilet seat is cold - I don't like a cold toilet seat! :)

Shari said:
Boom Stick said:

Set that ceiling fan to pull air up, set the fan blowing into a doorway from a cooler section of the home pointing it into the room where the stove is. You will start a natural convection of hot air out of the stove room, cool air coming in. When I set my fans like this, the toilet set in our master bath stays warm, if I don't have the fans on, the toilet seat is cold - I don't like a cold toilet seat! :)

+1 If you can force cool air in at the bottom it HAS to be displaced with air coming out of the room. Most likely warm air coming out at the top.

I have a small desk fan in the hallway blowing on low directly into the stove room and if I stand in the doorway right beside it I can feel the warm air coming into the hallway in the upper half of the doorway. Once in the hallway it naturally goes up the stairwell.

Yeah I have two of those corner fans. One we used for years and the second I bought five years ago. They have now been on a shelf in the garage for 4.5 years. Too noisy and not effective.

Reactions: zrtmatos
BrotherBart said:
Yeah I have two of those corner fans. One we used for years and the second I bought five years ago. They have now been on a shelf in the garage for 4.5 years. Too noisy and not effective.

Thanks for the honesty.

Reactions: zrtmatos
Shari said:
Boom Stick said:

But Shari, think about those days of old...

Well I reversed the in the room with the insert so it is pulling air up and have a small 6 inch circular fan blowing towards the room from another part of the house. Within minutes I am feeling the difference. Thanks!

Great. I fondly recall when I heard this on hearth.com. Sadly I do not recall who suggested it. I scoffed but am just bull headed enough to give it a try. I was amazed at the difference it made in the far rooms. Bingo! You can teach old dogs new tricks after all.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shari said:
Boom Stick said:

But Shari, think about those days of old...

But as Brother Bart says: The “Good Old Days†weren’t.

I finally got my stove going late last week. I had set a fan in the hallway at the living room end, blowing into the living room where the stove is. I heard that the bedrooms were too cold last night, when I got home from work this morning. They were definitely cooler, but I was think they are just spoiled by the more uniform heat of the wood furnace. I backed the fan up to the other end of the hallway, which was only about five feet, and could immediately feel the warm air moving. For whatever reason, the ceiling in the hallway is seven feet, with eight foot ceilings everywhere else. I think that may have been part of the problem. I taped a strip of TP on the bottom of the one foot wall where the short ceiling starts, and it's fluttering away in the warm air moving down to the bedrooms. I was walking around with a thermometer earlier, and it was 75 in the living room, and 72-73 in all three bedrooms. I hope they're happy... I guess I'm saying that you might have to experiment with fan placement a bit.

I thought there was another thread like this here today, but I can't find it. Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for fan positioning to enhance the heat flow up from the cellar? Since reading this this morning, I dragged the "summer" box fans out of the back of the cellar and have been moving them around all day.

I really love how the folks in this community chime in for what seem like obvious problems with simple things, and give the benefit of their experience. It would not have occurred to me to point a fan AT the stove, but now it seems pretty obvious. Thanks, everybody.

buggyspapa said:
Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for fan positioning to enhance the heat flow up from the cellar?

Same principle: Blow cold air down to the stove room. :) A small desk fan that can be tilted downwards would be best for this because you want the cold air to pushed down onto the steps - you don't want to bounce cold air off the ceiling of the stairway because the hot air will want to flow back up at the ceiling level of the stairwell.

PS: You can also then add another small fan at the base of the stairs, pointing again toward the stove room to enhance the cold air flow.

jeff_t said:
I finally got my stove going late last week. I had set a fan in the hallway at the living room end, blowing into the living room where the stove is. I heard that the bedrooms were too cold last night, when I got home from work this morning. They were definitely cooler, but I was think they are just spoiled by the more uniform heat of the wood furnace. I backed the fan up to the other end of the hallway, which was only about five feet, and could immediately feel the warm air moving. For whatever reason, the ceiling in the hallway is seven feet, with eight foot ceilings everywhere else. I think that may have been part of the problem. I taped a strip of TP on the bottom of the one foot wall where the short ceiling starts, and it's fluttering away in the warm air moving down to the bedrooms. I was walking around with a thermometer earlier, and it was 75 in the living room, and 72-73 in all three bedrooms. I hope they're happy... I guess I'm saying that you might have to experiment with fan placement a bit.

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding your setup with the fan. Are you saying that the fan was close to the doorway leading to the stove room and you moved it back down the hall about 5 feet. I have mine sitting practically in the doorway but may try moving it around the hallway. Curious to see if I'm picturing you set up correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.