Double Lintel - one more question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsh3239

Sep 24, 2011
Oregon
Your forum did such a great job with my question about block plate - I thought I would push my luck with one more question. My installer missed the fact that I have a double lentil system in my fireplace. Thus attempted to install a napoleon 1402 - and the connector point on the box does not go back far enough to clear the 2nd lentil - needless to say right now I have a 1402 unit with portions of the blower pushed back into the fireplace and not flush....Not satisfied. So now he wants to attempt to install 2 elbows right at the connection point to the stove to see if that gets him the lateral clearance to make it past the lentils. He indicates that although this is not "normal" it is o.k. to do.
My experience with ventilation systems - tells me that anytime you increase the corners or "impact" surfaces for air streams it is a point of possible build-up and a loss of static pressure. My position is that he sold me the wrong stove and the voyageur would be a better stove because its connection point is so far back in the box and comes off at an angle that it will clear the lentil systems with no problem and no jerry rigging required. Any opinions about the double elbows in series? Thanks - I promise this will be my last long question........Seaturtle.

Ask away, Turtle. That's what this place is for. :) There is a flue piece called an "insert offset adapter," or something like that. . .might be what you need. That piece or elbows would affect draft. . .dunno how much. Sounds like this guy f'ed up the initial survey of the hearth. Ask for a different insert, if that's what you want.

I did a 45 elbow and then another 45 to put me back upwards and never noticed any I'll effects. Is that what you are talking about? Mine were right at the stove, too.

What's the distance between the stove's flue collar and the bottom of the lintel ?

It'll cost you, but how about having a custom smokebox made that would fit this gap and extend the flue behind the lintel, then connect the liner to the smokebox ?

I faced a similar issue and ended up recessing the insert 2" deeper into the fireplace to get around the lintel.
I got the insert to fit, Unfortunately, this negated the ability to use the surround pc.

Im also very interested to hear what solutions other may have for this issue.
good luck.

Ah beans and lentils! I think you'll need to decide what is most important. At this point it's unclear as to whether the Napoleon is your first choice. It sounds like you really want the Voyager instead, but perhaps I am misinterpreting?

If the installer does a proper job with a soft offset using a couple of 30 or 45 elbows to get under the second lintel, then it might work fine, especially if the liner is more than one story tall. More important will be the quality of the install. The elbows should be stainless and screwed together at 3 points to create a solid offset.

Thanks - once again. For others that asked questions - there is 2 inches of clearance from the point where the connection is made to the stove and the lentil - not too much to work with. I will keep you updated. The plan right now is - there is what they call a "low clearance" adapter that Napoleon sells - this adapter forces the connector to come off at a 30 degree or so angle.
The issue will likely be that this adapter requires 4 inches of height - so I think my installer indicated that he is going to place the adaptor piece onto the liner first - then slide the box into place and make the connection to the box - because there is enough space (vertically) inside of the fireplace - but the opening of the fireplace is what is the hang-up point - not enough vertical clearance to slide box plus adaptor into slot.....I seriously hope he can access the connector points on the box once he has gone through all this effort.
At some point you have to have some faith that people know what they are doing - and let them do thier job - but I have to be honest (and yes, this could be a woman thing.......I know some will laugh) when it comes to fire - I really want things right - I want to be able to enjoy an amazing warm fire and go to sleep at night without wondering if my new install is putting my home at risk.
It is hard to have complete faith when the installer already missed (what I have researched) is a pretty important thing - the double lentil - then tells me the adaptor kit wont work - then tells me to purchase an Osburn 1800 - because it has a sliding face (when after reading manual only the 2400 has this feature) and is confident it will work (it wont) and then wants to do double elbows with the Napoleon and then tells me the adaptor kit will work afterall. Makes me nervous. Now I find myself attempting to educate myself so that I feel a little bit in control (I was going to say so that I am not getting so darned screwed in the _______) - but it is not politically correct.
I can tell everyone out there - at least with the napoleon (and I think for all units with blowers) - if the manul indicates that the unit should be flush with the outside of the brick - and they give no variable distances - they really do mean it. After a number of hours on the phone - the reason is - if the unit is pushed back into the fireplace - the motor of the blower unit will overheat and you will be going through blowers - and you will pull your hair out. Not to mention your efficency will drop like a bugger. I am certain you all knew this already - but only took me 30 seconds to type it....
THANKS again - I will post once it is done - please keep your fingers crossed. Worst case scenario - I mght be posting a Napoleon for sale LOL. Seaturtle.

You are correct to be cautious and want a proper job done safely. This is not a woman thing, it is good common sense. If this fellow is blowing smoke and does not really know all the best options (it happens), what are your alternatives? Do you have other dealers to choose from? Have you already paid full or partially?

My daddy did teach me not to pay in full......only half down So far 1800 out of pocket plus 500 for the rental of the manlift for the first install gone wrong....- and that has been my saving grace. I do not want to pass judgement we all make mistakes - and I really want to give this guy a chance to make it right - I just hope he has enough integrity to let me know he truly has run out of options to make the Napoleon work - and enough courage to say we need to look at another unit. That is why I started to reasearch other units - ones with deep connector points to clear the lentils. I was concerned that now my fireplace was destroyed - old heatilator type set up - where the hot air was passed through a closed system of pipes - now all that has been cut with a huge hole in my boiler plate. I found releif in the fact that there are units out there that will work - if I need to cut my losses and switch mid-stream. This forum has provided me with an avenue to put my paranoid thoughts at ease - like with the double elbows not such a dooms-day issue - not the best. and the insight about the block plate. Thanks so much - I will continue to keep positive thoughts and the adaptor kit will work just fine..........pretty please. Enjoy your Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.