Double vs Single wall Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpjohnny5

Oct 7, 2010
Southern CT
Gonna be running about 16 feet of pipe straight off the top of a Heritage in an open cathedral ceiling. I know the single wall is cheaper but I question if you get better performance with the DW pipe. The clearances don't matter I have 18 inches for single. Does single throw off more heat?

Single wall does, but I think you are limited to 8' of single wall in a run. Someone will correct me, I'm sure.

i would sleep better with the DW.

johnnywarm said:
i would sleep better with the DW.

Johnny would sleep warmer with the single-wall. ;-)

If you have the clearance, I'd go with the single-wall. A 300º pipe throws off lots of heat. If code won't allow beyond an 8' run, go that high. Most of the heat you can feel will come from the first few feet of single-wall. The rest of the heat you'll have to find a way to get down from the ceiling. You're gonna have that problem any way you go with those tall ceilings. I read here that you can run a ceiling fan in reverse to push cold air up instead of warm air down. Anybody know if that works?

MPJohnny5 said:
Gonna be running about 16 feet of pipe straight off the top of a Heritage in an open cathedral ceiling. I know the single wall is cheaper but I question if you get better performance with the DW pipe. The clearances don't matter I have 18 inches for single. Does single throw off more heat?

Would be nice to know the stove you are hooking up to. What does your manual say?

It's a hearthstone heritage, the manual doesn't say anythin about how high just 18 inch clearance for single wall. Where are you guys seeing this 8 foot high rule?

MPJohnny5 said:
It's a hearthstone heritage, the manual doesn't say anythin about how high just 18 inch clearance for single wall. Where are you guys seeing this 8 foot high rule?

Its a secodary burner so single is OK from the stove. Some call to be double at the stove. As for the 8ft rule I dont know. Somone will drop by soon.

If your question is about better draft performance, you will always get better draft from a better insulated pipe. If you are asking about heat extraction, single wall will be better, that is until you've removed enough heat from the flue gases to reduce draft.

The double wall is a better all around pipe. It is tested (single wall doesn't need testing, but double wall likely bears a UL or Warnock Hersey sticker). Let your stove do the heating, and let your chimney draft, so that your stove can heat better.

The inner wall of double wall is stainless steel. The single wall pipe is all mild steel and will need to be replaced much more often. I have double wall and it works well.

If I had the clearance, I would have used single wall. It looks better coming out of the stove too.

22 guage welded single is strong stuff and will last years. I like it.

Not to mention the cost difference, thanks guys think Im going to go with the single. I just have to look into this 8 foot rule

Maybe a single wall run is not supposed to exceed 10ft. rather than 8ft. I could be wrong on both counts, but I seem to recall reading on the forums or somewhere that single wall has a maximum run because it can allow the flue gases to cool too much and contribute to creosote formation. Either that, or I dreamt it all.

Yeah, a dealer/installer will eventually chime in. And it may in fact turn out to be imaginary or just a local codes issue. I would simply be remiss to not point it out as something that merits further research. This place has been very helpful to me, and I intend to pay it forward. ;-)

In Canada the max stove pipe length is 10 ft with no mention of single or double.

I would only use the welded seam single wall. That snap together stuff lets a lot of air get in further reducing draft.

I went with doublewall pipe myself . . . closer clearances, better draft and longer life . . . as for heat . . . I get plenty of heat off the stove . . . enough to heat my entire home so what heat I don't miss whatever heat I would have got from singlewall . . . on the con- side of the equation . . . doublewall pipe is more expensive.

Just to put my 2 cents in here, I think if you do not need the double wall it is a waste of money, the guy I bought my stove from did not even have single wall so had to buy it offline, no need for me to spend the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.