1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Double wall pipe ceiling clearance question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jjames, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjames

jjames New Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    So I bit the bullet and went with the double wall metalbestis pipe.

I have 1 question to pose and would love to hear your feedback as to the solution.

My install is going to be a straight run from a T6 up through a cathedral ceiling.

I am using the metalbestis telescoping pipe from the stove to the ceiling and it is where the telescoping pipe connects to the Cathedral "thimble" that I have my question.

From my drywall out to my shingles is about 22.5 inches. There are 2 sets of rafters. One for the roof, and one for the ceiling.

I have a metal plate to cover off on the inside.

My telescoping pipe says that it requires 6 inches of clearance and my thimble requires 2 inches.

Is is possible to extend the telescoping connection through the ceiling for the 4.5 inches that the thimble is short of, as long as I have 6 inches or greater clearance to all rafters/joists and drywall?

(I guess it is possible, so the real question is would there be a concern doing so....)

Or do they make a thimble that is 24 inches long vs. 18.

Or do I need to get a 12 inch chimney section to put on the bottom of the thimble that I then have to paint black to match the inside?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I think the later is the situation - you need to extend downward using the chimney.
    Pipe connectors, IMHO, are only made to be used where you are looking at them 100% when you are looking at the stove...that's a rule of thumb which is easy to keep in mind.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.