1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Double wall pipe into old single wall pipe question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by 10-cc, Sep 8, 2012.

1. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    Hi all,

I purchased a double wall setup: 2 x 45° elbows with a strait double telescopic extension. The female side of 45° elbow goes into the male side of the external T flange. However the double wall female elbow side is way too loose (6 1/2") for the male flange (6"). What can be done? I will go next week to the place I purchased the setup but I prefer to have some knowledge beforehand.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the flange:
    flange.jpg
    And the Elbow:
    elbow.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks like an adapter is missing. What type pipe is this? Duravent?
  3. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    it say on the sticker: ICC INDUSTRIAL CHIMNEY COMPANY INC.
    ST-JEROME, QUEBEC, CANADA

STICKER.jpg
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is ICC (Excel) pipe what is used for the thimble and exterior pipe? The system is designed for one brand of pipe, top to bottom. That's why the draw collar has a problem, especially with double-wall pipe.
  5. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    Sorry I had made a mistake, the draw collar fits perfectly.

The ICC pipe is the ULTRABlack line, not the exterior excel chimney ( http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/ultrablack-double-wall-stove-pipe ) It is only the flange collar of the A1 T that comes inside the house (From Security 2100) that is loose into the female double walled elbow. I think you’re right about needing an adaptor of some sort.

Thanks again.
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What is the manufacturer of the class A, exterior piping? Is this Security? If so, there is a finishing cone. Then the interior connector should be with Security double-wall.

security.PNG
  7. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    Thanks BGreen,
    The problem is that I got two different companies (ICC and Security). I will ask the stove shop people and see what they recommend.

Thanks.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    For a proper fit, it's recommended to stick with one companies piping system from connector to chimney, especially for double-wall.
  9. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    Strange thing the person at the shop did not ask me what kind of setup I have and apparently the ICC brand is their mainstream. I had no clue I thought it is a standard as in single walled pipes. Hopefully I will not have to fight the return 300$ pieces I purchased from them as I bought the T6 from them and also the whole exterior Security setup, except the owner is not the same now.
  10. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    Just got back from the Stove Shop, he got me a 5" extention so the double 45° elbow will perfectly fit in there. So it is all good now.

BGreen, FYI all double wall pipe are indeed compatible with each other, no matter from what company it is.

Thanks again.
  11. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Tried mating Simson DVL to Selkirk lately or vice versa? They are very different systems and adapters. Usually mixing brands also voids the piping warranty.
  12. 10-cc

10-cc Member

Loc:
    St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
    BGreen,
    That was the answer of the people in the shop.

In my case, I tried to fit the double walled elbow directly into the Security Flange that comes out of the external T. The elbow did not have enough depth to accommodate the flange male, that is why it did not fit. Now with the 5"extension there is enough depth, so it fits .
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Some adaptations are possible between certain brands, with the caveat mentioned.