Double wall pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
Not to sound stupid but what exactly is double wall pipe?Is it the zero clearance pipe?Our something else?
Rusty

If you're talking about double wall connector pipe, or stovepipe, it's typically simply a pipe within a pipe with an airspace between the two. It's by no means "zero-clearance", it simply allows you to reduce the normal 18" from combustibles required with single wall pipe. If you're talking about chimney pipe, that's a different product, typically double wall with insulation between, allowing further clearance reduction (but not to zero) and helping to keep the flue gas temperature up until it's exhausted to the atmoshpere. There's also triple wall pipe. Where our pipes have to actually pass through ceilings and roofs, or walls, we have to use purpose built adapters and fittings to safely make those penetrations, and attach the connector pipes or chimney pipes to those. Rick

Thanks, It's the double wall connecter pipe that I was thinking about.When the stove was going in the basement before I had the 18inches to joists. I'm thinking ahead to when it's finished off.
Rusty

fossil,

I also have a question. I need to go thru a wall with pipe. Is the Class "A" Triple Wall Insulated Pipe rated zero clearance? And is it the best way to go or would I have another option that could be more practical and/or cheaper?

Bill

Bill, I'm really not the right guy to ask...regardless of how I keep talking like I know something. I'm neither a professional nor an installer, nor associated with the industry other than as a consumer/woodburner, and I really don't want to tell you something that's not correct. Too many safety issues involved here. But...I'm not aware of any chimney pipe, including all the Class A systems, that allow anything closer than 2" from combustibles. I could be wrong. Walls are a special case, because even some Class A multi-wall chimney pipe performance depends on it being vertical. The manufacturers of Duravent and Metalbestos, etc. have solutions for all these various installation needs, and about all I can do, in the absence of one of the many forum members who really knows this stuff chiming in, is recommend you continue researching. The pipe/chimney sytems manufacturers' websites are chock full of good information. Maybe start with Selkirk, they're a well-respected brand, among many, and go from there. Good luck. Rick

I'm talking about the floor joists.Pipe comes out of stove straight up into 90*bend runs 18 inches from floor joists into metalbestos pipe which is in thimble through foundation wall and up the house.I need to get the double wall pipe when I finish off the basement as the 18 inch clearence might not be there.
Rusty

BillT said:
fossil,

I also have a question. I need to go thru a wall with pipe. Is the Class "A" Triple Wall Insulated Pipe rated zero clearance? And is it the best way to go or would I have another option that could be more practical and/or cheaper?

Bill

Bill, can you post this in a separate thread so as to avoid confusion? Rick has it right, 2" clearance from combustibles required for class A. But it sounds like you have other questions and we can give you more attention in a dedicated thread.

kniffen, interior, double-wall connector pipe has a clearance requirement of 6". You should be fine with your setup from the sounds of it. The confusion is that there is also double wall class A pipe. This is what should be your metalbestos thimble pipe. That is a different temperature rating and insulation. It has a 2" clearance requirement.

BTW, you'll need to stcik to the same brand interior double-wall and use Selkirk Metalbestos double-wall connector stove pipe to mate to your thimble Metalbestos pipe.
http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=879

BeGreen said:
BillT said:
fossil,

Bill

Bill, can you post this in a separate thread so as to avoid confusion? Rick has it right, 2" clearance from combustibles required for class A. But it sounds like you have other questions and we can give you more attention in a dedicated thread.

BeGreen, I already have started one. It is the "Need To Go Thru a Wall With Pipe" thread. What's funny is that I replied right after fossil's reply to me, thanking him and mentioning that I will probably start a new subject on it, which I did right away and for some strange reason, my reply to fossil disappeared.

The new thread is presently on page 5 and I still could use some more answers to it, if anyone is available for more info.

Thanks, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.