Douglas Fir ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
I have 3 large evergreen trees that I don't feel comfortable being by the house anymore and they are being removed this year. I believe they are Doug Fir. My softwood ID skills are not as good as my hardwoods. I think these are Doug Firs. Everyone agree or am I wrong? If they are Dougs I will keep them as firewood. If they are really something else I will have the tree guys take them since I have access to hardwoods.
DSCN1069.JPG

There are no native Doug Fir in PA. Unless they were planted by someone as shade/decorative trees.

It's Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). Nothing else has those distinctive cone bracts.
Occasionally planted as a landscape tree in east, but never attains its impressive growth as in its native range.
Also commonly grown as Christmas tree.

Reactions: TheAardvark
but never attains its impressive growth as in its native range.

Give them 200+ years. I suspect they'd make a good attempt at it in areas that don't have too extreme summer/winter differences. They're not even considered fully mature until about 100 years.

In fact, the tallest tree in England is a Douglas Fir that's about 160 years old, and over 200 feet tall.

Just a fun little aside, the trunk volume on the largest known Douglas fir is 12,300 cubic feet. Think about that for a second - almost 100 cords solid volume in a single tree.

(and of course, California's giant sequoias get even bigger)

* Edit - Posted the wrong youtube link. Fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAardvark
Status
Not open for further replies.