Downsizing and soliciting opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
So after soaking up knowledge and enjoying the conversations here I'm downsizing. Left behind will be my beloved little HI200, my even more beloved bone-dry coupla cords of BTU's and a note pointing the new owner to Hearth.com.

I heat with gas/hot water in the new (to me) home - a 1200 ft2 ranch with a full, finished walk-out basement. I *will* be getting a freestanding stove downstairs and had immediately figured it would be a gas stove until my wife objected due to her love of wood (who knew???).

I love the idea of the ease and cleanliness of gas and am very sure I can fill the time I save from needing to process firewood, but I admit to thinking I'll miss wood heat and all that goes with it. No matter which way I go, I'll be going oversized and for looks. I'd be happy to hear opinions on which way to go and a recommendation for a stove for that choice.

Short of that, thanks everyone! Even if I end up going with gas and never have need for wood ID or running advice again, I'll likely be replaced by the new owner.

How large and area will the stove be heating? Is it 1200 sq ft per floor? If so, you may be upsizing, especially if the stove is centrally located and there is easy passage for hot air up a large open stairway.

Yes... 1200 per floor. The stove will be in a 600 ft2 finished space against an outside wall that includes the centrally-located stairwell upstairs. My plan is go with a 2.5 or bigger firebox (huge for someone used do 1.4) if I go with wood. I have no experience with gas beyond the great heat the one my in-laws own throws every other Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.