Draft and Cold Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Haven't heard of a Vacu-stack. Was going to post this but will also be looking into this cap as well.:
:Have been burning and heating with wood for over 20 years. Recently moved to new place and installed Lopi Endeavor stove with double wall stainless chimney to height specs. Never had blowback before on any stoves previously owned but past few days like most people in Northeast we had very high winds of between 40 to 50 mph with gusts to 75. Could not get a draft going to start fire. I'm going up to clean pipes tomorrow , hopefully before too much snow falls. Just cleaning to eliminate any possible creosote issue. Pretty sure wind is main issue. Any other thoughts on this from experienced burners?

If your curious, here is some pictures of how its installed, you can find those gauges on ebay for a decent price. They are magnehelic vacuum gauges, for a wood stove you will want to look for one thats about 0-.25 inches of water. Its pretty much the most sensitive one they make, if you have a longer pipe you may want to go 0-.5 so you don't peak out a .25. (mine is about 14 feet) Here are some pictures of how i installed it though if anyone wants to do something similar. They are not really designed for wood stoves so you gotta kinda get creative in hooking it up.
Nice setup...Dwyer told me the pipe going in the flu must be perpendicular top the flame and not in same direction as flame or draft. Is this correct? How often do you clean it? Thanks,