Q&A Draft coming thru bottom vent of Prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Marco Clean Face - Insulated (model D41CFI) fireplace built on
top of concrete slab. When the fireplace is not in use there is a
constant draft coming thru the bottom vent. The damper and air inlet
valves are closed. I installed glass doors and caulked around the
fireplace, but drafts still come in. I live in NY where temperature at
times drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. For cold climate installation,
there should be insulation between the fireplace and outside wall (or
chase). However, I cannot verify that and hoping the builder put some
there. The marble floor hearth extension is cold as ice and I suspect
there is no insulation between the slab and marble extension.

I was thinking of covering the vent with weather stripping and removing
it when I start a fire. What else can I do? Does the problem I describe more prevalent in houses built on slabs versus ones with a basement?

Answer:

The problem exists with most metal double wall fireplaces in cold climates. There is nothing between you and the outside temperatures except a piece of sheet metal. So, the entire firebox gets very cold and acts more like refrigerators when they are not being used.

Not much that you can do except to cover the vent are when you are not using the fireplace. Some people use the magnetic vinyl material that is for making magnetic signs.

Make certain that you take it off before you start a fire or there will be a fire danger.<p>
Update 2006: There is a company listed below which makes covers for these vents.

Link: Draft Decor Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.