Draft Control Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMo

Nov 29, 2014
New Jersey
I replaced my Barometric Damper Control, (Field Controls 8" R-C). What should I set the weight to? Or how do I tell what it should be set at?

Normally it is set to maintain the draft spec of the heater. Is this on a boiler or furnace?

Normally it is set to maintain the draft spec of the heater. Is this on a boiler or furnace?
It is on a Yukon Husky wood, coal or oil forced hot air furnace, I am only burning wood. Furnace plate says "do not use on a flue that exceeds .03" of water column". I have been burning wood for 10 plus years, after replacing the draft regulator had problem with black liquid dripping from smoke pipe joints and flash back when opening the fire box door

Moving to the boiler room for folks with more experience with this unit. I believe the draft should be set by a magnehelic gauge. The creosote issue could mean that the barometric is cooling down the flue gases too much by staying open when the draft is proper instead of remaining closed. Or it could be the wood is not well seasoned and the fire is smoldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.