Hot Clayton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scootabs

Jan 8, 2024
Greencastle, IN
I’ve got a Clayton 1600 I’ve been able to get back to proper operation (I believe). The issue I’m having is when the thermostat set point is reached the firebox gets too hot and the fan control center shuts down due to the high heat. I’m only loading two or three pieces of firewood so I don’t feel like it’s being overloaded. The upper pull damper is closed, the ash damper is closed and the motorized natural draft flapper is closed when the thermostat isn’t calling for heat. When the thermostat is calling for heat the limit switch hovers around 120° or so. Once the thermostat is satisfied the high limit is reached within 10-15 minutes.

Is the blower moving air through the ducts? Filters plugged?

The thermostat should only control the draft damper flapper...the duct blower is controlled by the fan/limit control switch and the blower should run once the furnace is warm/hot, and not shut off while the furnace is still hot. (you may get some on/off cycling during a normal burn though)
Where is the high limit set at? How about the blower on/off temps?
Have pics?

Reactions: johneh
The thermostat should only control the draft damper flapper...the duct blower is controlled by the fan/limit control switch and the blower should run once the furnace is warm/hot, and not shut off while the furnace is still hot. (you may get some on/off cycling during a normal burn though)
Where is the high limit set at? How about the blower on/off temps?
Have pics?
This makes sense so that the firebox doesn’t get too hot and shut things down via the high limit switch. I had the high limit set at 200°. Blower on/off were at 120°/80°.

My concern about the blower running constantly is getting too hot in the house. Although I suppose with the damper flapper shut and not feeding air to the fire the blower motor will shut down as the firebox temps drop.

This makes sense so that the firebox doesn’t get too hot and shut things down via the high limit switch. I had the high limit set at 200°. Blower on/off were at 120°/80°.
200* sounds right for the HLS...120/80 for the blower on/off is a little lower than many use...130-150 is more typical for the "on" setting, and 100-120* for the "off"
My concern about the blower running constantly is getting too hot in the house. Although I suppose with the damper flapper shut and not feeding air to the fire the blower motor will shut down as the firebox temps drop.
Yes, when the damper is shut the fire dies down, and the blower will eventually start to cycle off/on.
To me these old school wood furnaces are a real challenge, unless you have a real high heat load and can just let them roll (like in a workshop) to regulate the house temp better you need to vary the load size (amount) of wood you are loading according to the house, and outside temp...smaller more frequent loads often work better than trying to load a full load 2X/day (just for example)
The challenge is that when the damper is open they make tons of heat, but when the damper is closed they make tons of creosote...I sure don't miss dealing with old school wood furnaces!
How big and/or well insulated is your house? If I recall right that 1600 is a decent sized furnace.

Last edited: