Draft Issue .... solution being tested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I am experiencing an inability to get a fire going because even with a slight breeze I'm getting too much air coming into the stove and even a torch goes out when trying to warm the flue. I have added a vacu stack chimney cap but it still has not helped.

The picture is not working on the angelfire site. Interior and exterior shots of the flue system would really help. If none, we need details and dimensions for the complete flue system as it exits the stove, then connects with the heavy class A pipe? How tall is the outside pipe?

For posting pictures, bring them into Microsoft Paint, resize to less than 800 x 600 pixels, then save it as a jpeg. Then follow these instructions for posting:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18669/

With the chimney running up the outside of the house, the chimney is very cold and creates a reverse draft and the need to prime it. If you open a window near the stove, that should help reduce the amount of air. If you also put a fan in front of the window blowing in, that will help further.

I've taken the plunge and decided to resolve my draft issues (per previous threads) with a relitively new product called "Draw Collar". The concept is pretty straightforward however the product is revolutionary. You can find it at http://drawcollar.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I will post pics and a detailed review as soon as it arrives and I have it installed.

Jotulf3cb said:
I've taken the plunge and decided to resolve my draft issues (per previous threads) with a relitively new product called "Draw Collar". The concept is pretty straightforward however the product is revolutionary. You can find it at http://drawcollar.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I will post pics and a detailed review as soon as it arrives and I have it installed.

What did you find out? Do you have any pictures?

tutu_sue said:
With the chimney running up the outside of the house, the chimney is very cold and creates a reverse draft and the need to prime it. If you open a window near the stove, that should help reduce the amount of air. If you also put a fan in front of the window blowing in, that will help further.

Although this can be true, it certainly is not always true! I speak from experience as we've had a chimney going up the side of our house now for over 30 years....and no chase....and no drafting problems.

Backwoods Savage said:
tutu_sue said:
With the chimney running up the outside of the house, the chimney is very cold and creates a reverse draft and the need to prime it.
Although this can be true, it certainly is not always true!
Right you are. There needs to be a pressure deficit inside the house to draw from the chimney causing it to reverse. It's not unusual to see such a pressure deficit as most people are more diligent at sealing where air leaks in than sealing where air leaks out. If in fact there was a neutral pressure or a surplus, it would maintain the normal forward draft. I always advocate balancing the air in the home as it will affect the operation of the stove even after the draft reversal is turned around.

Jotulover said:
Jotulf3cb said:

What did you find out? Do you have any pictures?

Seems to be lots of positive comments about the Draw Collar:

http://www.drawcollar.com/Testimonials/tabid/113/Default.aspx

Just spoke with the inventor tonight (he's one of the salesmen (part owner too?) at the dealer I'm frequenting to decide on a stove), and he just received the first shipment of his latest design that reduces the bulge significantly and uses a thermal sensor of some sort to reduce the power usage (the first generation draws about 500W when in use). On the downside, it's not much use if the power's out, which is the whole reason I'm buying a wood stove.

I would only suggest the draw collar as a last resort. Try to improve draft first with a non-powered solution. Understand why the poor draft in the first place. Confounding factors could be negative pressure, cold flue in too much mass, too short flue, wrong sized flue, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.