draft issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arhuranna

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2010
Western Kansas
Got my old wood stove installed yesterday and had my first burn. It is an old Olympic Franklin stove with single wall pipe to the cathedral ceiling support box and tripple wall insulated pipe on up. Last night we had a great time and no draft issues, but today with a 15-20 mph wind it wanted to push the smoke back into the shed. I have about 5 ft. of single wall pipe to get to the ceiling and 5 foot of tripple wall on up. Do I need more tripple wall pipe? I did the test for being at least 2 ft. above anything within 10 ft. of the pipe and am 4 plus foot above the roof. Any advice would be great.

Regards,

Mitch

The Math makes it 10' over all? I would venture that this is really not enough height to develop a good draft. I think most stove require a minimum height, as determined by the draft column tool HVAC guys use. but the lowest I have seen was a min. of 15' tall from collar to cap. This ensures the flue gasses not only have time to burn off any flammable solids (ash etc) but also to provide a vacuum type draw. too short and the velocity is too fast not enough 'suck' to draw properly, try and add another section of pipe and see how that works. I have heard that adding a 90 elbow at the top of the chimney vs. a cap helps as well. this would slow some of the velocity down as well as increase flue temps, could be a quick and cheap alternative should it work.

hope that rambling helps any

Thanks for the advice,

Should have ordered an extra section when I placed my first order. Can I use a section of single wall as a temp fix untill the tripple wall gets here or will that cool down to much at the top?

Regards,

Mitch

I'm with stump on this one, looks like your height is the issue here. Is there any way to get more height from your stack?

My stove is not for heating my shed, I just like to have a fire now and then. I like to poke it and stir it and maybe roast a hotdog. There's something very peaceful about burning a fire. My main source of heat is a pellet stove which does a good job for me. As far as height it will be easy to add another section which is what I plan to do next week. Thanks again for the help.

Mitch

Arhuranna said:
Thanks for the advice,

Should have ordered an extra section when I placed my first order. Can I use a section of single wall as a temp fix untill the tripple wall gets here or will that cool down to much at the top?

Regards,

Mitch

Mitch, yes you can and should. Just get some galvanized pipe and stick up there. If not galvanized, then get whatever you can get.

Arhuranna said:
My stove is not for heating my shed, I just like to have a fire now and then. I like to poke it and stir it and maybe roast a hotdog.

Sounds like you're running it with the doors open, like a fireplace. That requires a chimney with a lot of capacity. Proper size pipe and taller chimney are important when running a stove like that. Fireplace opening should not exceed 10 times the cross-sectional area of the flue pipe. 6" pipe has an area of only 28 sq.in. That limits you to a fireplace opening of 280 sq.in (like 14" x 20") at the max. Most small fireplaces work best with 8" ID round pipe.

Thanks for all the help. My stove is 8" and I have been running it with the doors open. Today with not much wind it burned fine all day. I am going to add a few more feet of pipe as soon as possible and that should take care of it. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.