Draft measurements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcellwood

Nov 2, 2011
Central Maine
With the location of my stove I needed to install 3 - 90 ells from my stove to my existing clay lined chimney - 3" pipe. This is a two story inside chimney. I have a total of 2' horizontal run and 3.5' of vertical run. I was concerned about the resistance with this set up. When I bought the stove the guy that usually does the installs said I would be borderline with this set up. I have burned the stove for awhile and it seemed to burn well. Being this is my first year I did not have much to compare it to. With info and pics found on this forum I thought it was burning well. I finally got a magnahelic gauge and took some measurements with this set up. Full combustion blower speed gave me a reading of .62. Normal per manufacturer is .50 - .60. On slow speed I got .54. Normal is .35 - .45 so I slowed it down to .44. With nothing running and the natural draft from my chimney I get about .04. Anyway I think my concerns with the draft can be put to rest. Thoughts?

Duke said:
With the location of my stove I needed to install 3 - 90 ells from my stove to my existing clay lined chimney - 3" pipe. This is a two story inside chimney. I have a total of 2' horizontal run and 3.5' of vertical run. I was concerned about the resistance with this set up. When I bought the stove the guy that usually does the installs said I would be borderline with this set up. I have burned the stove for awhile and it seemed to burn well. Being this is my first year I did not have much to compare it to. With info and pics found on this forum I thought it was burning well. I finally got a magnahelic gauge and took some measurements with this set up. Full combustion blower speed gave me a reading of .62. Normal per manufacturer is .50 - .60. On slow speed I got .54. Normal is .35 - .45 so I slowed it down to .44. With nothing running and the natural draft from my chimney I get about .04. Anyway I think my concerns with the draft can be put to rest. Thoughts?

Yes watch out for ash build up it will happen faster with that convoluted venting.

The better question is how are you going to get in to clean the pipe w/ no cleanout tees? I have done 2 installs similar to your this season (a PC45 and a XXV) and I came out of the stove w/ a 6"-12" pipe to a tee, up to breach height to a tee laid down w/ cap facing out, then into breach converted to flex to the top.
Cleaning will be a breezew/ this setup 2 story flex can be brushed from inside the house w/ ease. Bieng in the service end of things all my life, when I install anything I look ahead to ease of service, because I will most likely be the one to doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.