draft problems/ recommended height of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

safinnart

Nov 28, 2018
Rhode Island
I just had a vermont castings Intrepid stove installed in my workshop. New pipe going straight up thru the roof but is only 12 feet above stove. I found online that with this stove you need 16 feet of pipe above stove for proper draft. If I put another pipe on I would be 8 feet above roof and would need braces too. In the meantime I have a Tempwood stove I can hook up. Anyone know if this would have the same draft problem?

I had a similar problem in the past. I determined that 15' is the minimum height for a good draw.

Have you tried it?
How high is the ceiling before chimney support box?
Same diameter chimney flue as stove outlet?
Double wall "pack type" chimney sections or triple wall?
If you have a metal roof you can eliminate the spark screen to increase draft slightly.
Using double wall pipe inside has much less loss allowing hotter flue gasses into chimney creating more draft. Extending chimney sections is required if higher than 8 feet from stove. Adding a section below the support box in place of connector pipe is almost as good as extending it higher.

Many times the manual will specify a minimum chimney height due to being tested with that height chimney for UL listing purposes, not due to needing that height for correct operation.

Last edited: