Draft sufficiency block-off plate vs full chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kiloforty

Dec 18, 2018
Salem, OR
I'm debating whether I should connect a Lopi Freedom to a block off plate or spend the money to run a full chimney liner. Do you think draft will be sufficient with the block off plate leading to a clay lined single story house interior chimney?
Insert Connection.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Liner. I think what you're describing is either a slammer install or a full liner install, correct?

Full liner 100% of the time.

Liner. I think what you're describing is either a slammer install or a full liner install, correct?

Full liner 100% of the time.

Not a slammer install I don't think. Here's a pic the install I'm referring to as an alternative to full liner.Insert Connection.JPG

Just to be clear, you're asking between Option 1:
upload_2018-12-19_13-8-54.png

Or Option 2:
upload_2018-12-19_13-9-19.png

The best option would be #2 with a blockoff plate installed as well. However, the full liner should most definitely be used as it's safer and will eliminate poor draft and smoke smell. Block off plates are optional and only increase the heating ability of an insert.

I believe you are talking about a direct connect install. Not favorably looked upon in most cases compared to a correct liner. @bholler can truly elaborate.

Reactions: bholler
It will be a pain to clean, a full liner is easy peasy. Spend the extra dough and do it correctly, you'll be happy in the long run.

I am assuming you are referring to a direct connect . Which to be done properly you first need a code compliant chimney. So are all of the clay tiles in good condition with all the mortar joints filled properly? Do you have the required clearances from the outside of the masonry structure?

If you have all of that then your clay liner can be no more than 3x the volume of the stove outlet which most fireplace flues are.

If all that checks out you then need to figure out how to make a positive connection from the stainless liner running from the stove to your clay liners in the chimney.

If you can do all of that you can run a direct connect not a full liner safely. But a full liner will still perform way better.

Reactions: kiloforty
Not a slammer install I don't think. Here's a pic the install I'm referring to as an alternative to full liner.View attachment 236136
Are those instructions for your stove specifically? Regardless I would never install a stove that way. The flue gasses will leave the pipe and expand rapidly causing the to cool and fo creosote. Which will then require pulling the stove and blockoff plate to clean

Are those instructions for your stove specifically? Regardless I would never install a stove that way. The flue gasses will leave the pipe and expand rapidly causing the to cool and fo creosote. Which will then require pulling the stove and blockoff plate to clean

Yes thats from the manual.

Yes thats from the manual.
That is an adsolutly horrible way to install a stove. Is this a ul listed stove? Because if so I am surprised that made it through the approval process.

It's a legal option, but far from desirable. In the OPs case, with a shorter chimney it could lead to poor stove performance due to insufficient draft.