Drill baby drill - for Hydrogen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
As long as they don't vent off (or incompletely burn) the methane that comes with it (from my memory)?

How would the difficulties in transporting and storing hydrogen be alleviated by drilling it? It might be useful to burn it immediately like they say Mali does, that ignored the transport issue, but I don’t think that’s what they want to do.

But what about the water vapor emissions into the atmosphere?!?

But what about the water vapor emissions into the atmosphere?!?
extract the heat and drop it like its cold (i.e. liquid out of the tail pipe rather than vapor)

How would the difficulties in transporting and storing hydrogen be alleviated by drilling it? It might be useful to burn it immediately like they say Mali does, that ignored the transport issue, but I don’t think that’s what they want to do.
This might help a bit:

I am not sure that's much better than pressurized hydrogen in my car.

Then again lpg or gasoline, or batteries are dangerous and not healthy either

There is an inherent danger to having high energy density; explosive (chemical or pressure), electric (high power, i.e. voltage and / or current), mechanical (car suspension), etc. etc.

High energy density from which energy can be extracted is necessarily relatively unstable - otherwise the energy can't be extracted in a feasible way.

Screenshot_20240222-203729.png

This might help a bit:

That’s interesting and probably useful, but we’d still have to build out a distribution system for it.

If they could use that technology to double the density of natural gas we might be on to something. The distribution network is already there.

Its a pipe dream. There's literally been millions of holes punched all around the globe in the exploration and extraction of oil and gas. These mythical billions of tons of natural hydrogen simply don't exist.

Sure small pockets will be found, but nothing of significance. The best bet would be to some how inject some microbe into a gas well during fracking that produces hydrogen from the hydrocarbons, allowing the hydrogen to flow up the well bore.

And at today's natural gas prices, it doesn't even pay to do the exploratory work for hydrogen. Producing hydrogen from natural gas and storing the CO2 via carbon sequestration will be the future for hydrogen.

I'm still not in the slightest convinced that hydrogen will take off, but that's a topic for another thread.

In the lunatic asylum

We better feed the subtext bots some more bits.