drip drip

obsessed penguin Posted By obsessed penguin, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

1. obsessed penguin

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I am getting some type of brown drippage from the bottom of my outdoor chimney. What and how is this happening ? :ZZZ

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck
    Minister of Fire

Feb 26, 2009
    Loc:
    Central PA
    First, I'd move this to the Hearth Room forum. You'll get more answers there.

Second, you must be getting some sort of moisture into the chimney that runs down the chimney and picks up brown ash or creosote from the chimney. If you get just a little maybe the moisture is condensing on the cold chimney from the hot flue gases, which always include some water vapor. If it is more than ust a little bit of drippage then I'd guess you have some kind of leak that allows moisture into the chimney.

3. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Wanna elaborate? Is it running all the way down the outside or is it leaking out of the clean-out at the bottom of a tee? Got any pix?

4. obsessed penguin

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    When was the last time you cleaned the chimney & if it was recently, did the cap on the clean-out get properly re-attached?

6. obsessed penguin

Oct 24, 2012
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I just gave my chimney the cleaning of a lifetime yesterday (minus the cap which is way too high). I'll wait and see...

7. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Creosote, Either the wood is not dry enough, or you are not getting a hot enough fire to keep it vaporized plus as mentioned clean out cap not correctly replaced.
    Current exterior temps, type of stove, type of flue, type of wood,and how are you using the stove or is this a open hearth. Please supply the requested information.
    By the way if you bought wood as seasoned from a supplier, it isn't dry enough internally in 99.9% of all cases.