1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

drip drip

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by obsessed penguin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. obsessed penguin

obsessed penguin New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I am getting some type of brown drippage from the bottom of my outdoor chimney. What and how is this happening ? :ZZZ

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    First, I'd move this to the Hearth Room forum. You'll get more answers there.

Second, you must be getting some sort of moisture into the chimney that runs down the chimney and picks up brown ash or creosote from the chimney. If you get just a little maybe the moisture is condensing on the cold chimney from the hot flue gases, which always include some water vapor. If it is more than ust a little bit of drippage then I'd guess you have some kind of leak that allows moisture into the chimney.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Wanna elaborate? Is it running all the way down the outside or is it leaking out of the clean-out at the bottom of a tee? Got any pix?
  4. obsessed penguin

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    It's leaking out of the cleanout
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    When was the last time you cleaned the chimney & if it was recently, did the cap on the clean-out get properly re-attached?
  6. obsessed penguin

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I just gave my chimney the cleaning of a lifetime yesterday (minus the cap which is way too high). I'll wait and see...
  7. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Creosote, Either the wood is not dry enough, or you are not getting a hot enough fire to keep it vaporized plus as mentioned clean out cap not correctly replaced.
    Current exterior temps, type of stove, type of flue, type of wood,and how are you using the stove or is this a open hearth. Please supply the requested information.
    By the way if you bought wood as seasoned from a supplier, it isn't dry enough internally in 99.9% of all cases.