Dripping Dripping Dripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RickVCM

Sep 9, 2020
NW Michigan
Recently, a 6 inch stainless liner was installed in a ZC double wall 10 inch chimney flue. The reason that this was done was for a fireplace insert install. Now, when it rains there is a very noticeable echoing of raindrops from the chimney chase in the house. As far as I know there is not water intrusion into the chase. There is a metal chase cap and a 6 inch chimney cap. (please see the images)
The original chimney cap was removed when the new 6 inch liner and cap was installed. The base of the original 10 inch liner was left in place. I never had a rain noise problem before with the original chimney design, but now there is.
Any fix suggestions?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4072.jpeg
    IMG_4072.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 131
Was the tape at the base always there? That would be the first place I would check for leaks.
The tape was removed. This was an earlier unsuccessful troubleshooting attempt to stop any dripping noise.
Thankfully, The company is going to send out their most experienced man early this week to investigate this.
Thanks for your reply

Is it possible what your hearing is rain hitting the chase cap, the echoing in the chase? Or is it water dripping and just going somewhere that can't be seen. You need to find the water.
Don't ask why I know this. Look for cracked shingles on the roof, created by the guys on the roof working on the chimney. I tore the chimney apart looking for the leak, before finding a hair line crack.

The company is going to send out their most experienced man early this week to investigate this.
Make sure there guy understands that the insert may or may not be a compliant install, especially if he's a licensed guy, I'm sure he wouldn't want to get jammed up if its not code complaint.
Generally very few zero clearance wood burning fireplaces allow an insert to be installed in them, some insert manufactures say the insert can be installed within the zero clearance unit, but the zero clearance unit may not have been tested, and if any venting on the unit was altered then the zero clearance unit is no longer compliant with its testing tag, so theoretically if there ever is an insurance claim, the insurance company can deny the claim, and any licensed people that worked on the equipment, knowingly (since there licensed) would also be held accountable due to negligence.

Make sure there guy understands that the insert may or may not be a compliant install, especially if he's a licensed guy, I'm sure he wouldn't want to get jammed up if its not code complaint.
Generally very few zero clearance wood burning fireplaces allow an insert to be installed in them, some insert manufactures say the insert can be installed within the zero clearance unit, but the zero clearance unit may not have been tested, and if any venting on the unit was altered then the zero clearance unit is no longer compliant with its testing tag, so theoretically if there ever is an insurance claim, the insurance company can deny the claim, and any licensed people that worked on the equipment, knowingly (since there licensed) would also be held accountable due to negligence.
Thanks for your well thought out reply. I totally agree with every one of your thoughts.
The "guy" coming out is from the same company that sold and installed the insert.
The ZC fireplace is a Heatilator I-60. The wood insert is a Vermont Castings Montpelier II EPA 2020 approved for ZC fireplaces. We have owned this 4 year old home for 2 years and never had a drip noise problem before the changes made with the Heatilator I-60. Never even heard of such an issue.
After the new insert install with a new 6 inch liner, which necessitated the elimination of the larger 10 inch I-60 fireplace exhaust cap, and replacement with a 6 inch exhaust cap for the insert, the noise began. This noise wakes me up from sleep in a different room.

If there is no leakage then it might just be the difference in the cap. The new cap appears to be flat on top. Was the prior cap on the 10" pipe peaked with sloped sides?

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.39.31 AM.png

Is it possible what your hearing is rain hitting the chase cap, the echoing in the chase? Or is it water dripping and just going somewhere that can't be seen. You need to find the water.
Don't ask why I know this. Look for cracked shingles on the roof, created by the guys on the roof working on the chimney. I tore the chimney apart looking for the leak, before finding a hair line crack.
Ok, I won't ask! Don't we all have our little battles to contend with?
The top image below (i hope) is a screw that was imbedded by one of the guppies (inexperienced installer) in a shingle.
The bottom image (i hope) is a short raised ridge in the roof about 12 inches long running to the front of the chase and back towards the peak of the roof.
You can see a roofing nail, cracked shingles (4 years old!) and two 16p nail heads.
I think that this entire area needs to be ripped out and replaced with new shingles ( I have 2 1/2 bundles left over from other roof work on this home.)
Can I ask you where your hairline crack was found at?
Thanks for a great reply! Sorry for your trouble!

Attachments

• IMG_4075.jpeg
    IMG_4075.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4076.jpeg
    IMG_4076.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 89
If there is no leakage then it might just be the difference in the cap. The new cap appears to be flat on top. Was the prior cap on the 10" pipe peaked with sloped sides?
Thanks for your question and insights!
The old cap, as I remember, was flat on top. (Please see image below)
The image below was captured when I first moved in. The previous owner had not put in a lawn.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpeg
    IMG_1315.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 105