Drolet 1800 door swing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
Why does it seem like the door swing on Drolet 1800 stove is backwards? And I guess all Drolet stoves are this way?!?!?!

The handle is on the left and the door swings open to the right.

What seems normal to me is the door handle on the right and it swings open to the left. I am right-handed, I would have wood in my right hand/arm and open the door with my left hand.

Does it really matter though? What would an equivalent stove be that has the door handle on the right and opens to the left?

Thanks!

Why does it seem like the door swing on Drolet 1800 stove is backwards? And I guess all Drolet stoves are this way?!?!?!

What seems normal to me is the door handle on the right and it swings open to the left. I am right-handed, I would have wood in my right hand/arm and open the door with my left hand.

Does it really matter though? What would an equivalent stove be that has the door handle on the right and opens to the left?

Thanks!
In most cases it really doesn't matter. But occasionally due to layout it does.

It’s the same as my Jotul so I didn’t ever notice. I think some/most of the Osborn stoves latch on the right.

Drolet recently changed this. My old HT 2000 and my Austral II have the handle on the right and swing left. The Austral II has a manufacture date of 2017. IMG_1953.jpeg

Thanks!
I think it is just a mfr thing. Most stoves I looked at when shopping had the left hand swing but I chose the 1800 in particular because I wanted handle on the left so when I open the door to reload the heat would pour out to the left of my particular space. I would have chose a different stove if I wanted it the other way around.

I think it is just a mfr thing. Most stoves I looked at when shopping had the left hand swing but I chose the 1800 in particular because I wanted handle on the left so when I open the door to reload the heat would pour out to the left of my particular space. I would have chose a different stove if I wanted it the other way around.
Interesting point. Had not thought about it that way!

Reactions: oilcan1001
Sometimes the same firebox under the Osburn label will have the opposite door swing. Perhaps this is to make the two lines distinctly different from each other. FWIW, our stove is right-hinged. It's never bothered me.

Reactions: oilcan1001