Drolet Eco-65 problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Dec 22, 2012
So we have been having a bad snowstorm with extreme high winds. Power was kicking on and off and this morning I had to break out the generator as the house was getting cold with no heat. Here is my problem.
Fire up the pellet stove couple mins later get a P Error (exhaust) so clean the stove completely, check the pressure switch for power and function, everything checks fine. Then I clue in the high winds are producing a backdraft and kicking on the pressure switch. My stove exhausts out a stainless liner up a masonry chimney so I put a small bucket over the top to cut the wind.
This works, stove fires up no more P error. 10-15 mins later hear it beep now its got an H error and is incredibly hot to the touch. I allow it to cool reset it and fire it up again. Convection blower is not coming on.
Turn the stove off, check all connections, solder some that might be problematic and fire it up again. Still no Convection blower, combustion blower and exhaust blower kick on briefly and then stop. Stove is starting to heat up extremely hot again so I disconnect the power to the circuit board by pulling the harness and plug back in. Viola!! all the fans fire up and things seem good!!
Except...only the lower auger is turning, upper stopped. I have the stove on manual at the third heat setting.
The stove cools down as the fire goes out and the convection fan does its job. Finally 2nd auger kicks in but shortly after all the fans shut off. So again I have fire but no fans, stove commences heating up again so that it is woodstove hot to the touch. I shut it off again. Lower auger continues to run all the time.
I'm thinking at this point the circuit board is fried??
any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!!

Yes it is a nightmare. I checked the two soldered connections I made, no bridging, it was just to replace some crappy quick connects that I thought might be part of the problem....guess I will wait until after the holidays and give sbi a call.
The whole situation has made me realize I need to be burning wood, cannot count on electrical components for heating this place (elec baseboard as backup), talk about an uneasy feeling knowing I have no way of heating this place without elec. I also like cutting wood but I don't know how my GF is going to like the extra work of a wood stove.
The pellet stove will be heating my shop next winter I think.

That sucks. So this started happening when you ran the stove on the generator? Has the stove worked ok before that? Do you have a surge protector? My blower had issues from the factory. Those quick connects are junk. I had one cracked. Found out when I wiggled the wires while the stove was on and the blower kicked on.

It was working fine before the outages and also on the generator for the first go of power outages. I had plugged it back in to the wall outlet for the night as the power had come back on before bed. When I awoke in the morning the power was flicking on and off (3-4times in a matter of 10 mins) and then I hooked it up to the generator as I figured the on/off would be bad for the stove. Problems were from there on.
I'm thinking the rapid on/off successive power failures were likely the cause...

Do you have surge protector? My guess is the surges from on of on off wit the addition of unclean power from generator way have screwed up the electronics inside stove? Is it still not working?

Weird, I just plugged it in and fired it up after leaving it unplugged for the last 48 hours......its working fine. Why wouldn't the stove work off the generator? It is protected with a surge protector whether in the wall outlet or generator powered. I didn't have any problems running any other appliances or electronics on the generator and it is not a cheap unit, powered with a yamaha motor. 6500w max 5500w running.

I should also add that I could have swore it was working fine on generator power the night before, and the power bar/surge protector I used for the stove when using the generator is one of those expensive monster power bars that is supposed to be a conditioner/filter

If its working fine then good. Search generators on this forum. Some are ok some not so much. Glad your stove is back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.