Dropped the ball

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hinow41

Nov 20, 2013
Riverhead, NY
This is my first couple weeks cutting, stacking and burning wood. I have 3 stacks going one under my basement stairs leading out side, other two are out in my yard. Well I messed up and left my bilco doors open and it rained so all my first supply is wet. I also don't cover the stacks outside. I know I know i'm learning lol. About how long will it take for the wood to dry for burning? I filled a tote and placed it inside hopefully to get burning tonight.

Because this is a forum and everyone likes pic heres my start of collecting
IMAG0096_zpsad589210.jpg

This is my first couple weeks cutting, stacking and burning wood. I have 3 stacks going one under my basement stairs leading out side, other two are out in my yard. Well I messed up and left my bilco doors open and it rained so all my first supply is wet. I also don't cover the stacks outside. I know I know i'm learning lol. About how long will it take for the wood to dry for burning? I filled a tote and placed it inside hopefully to get burning tonight.

Because this is a forum and everyone likes pic heres my start of collecting
IMAG0096_zpsad589210.jpg

Welcome aboard hinow. Assuming the wood was dry it won't take very long. What kind of stove? EPA's like it dry.

Should be fine, get a stove load inside (next to the oil burner?). Once its dry enough to get a fire going bring more near the stove and you're in business. Got to load up today myself they're talkin' rain/snow for our are later today. Good luck.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Welcome! The surface moisture from the rain is not what you need to be concerned about. If you've just recently cut this wood I'm not sure the inner moisture will have left. It can take hardwoods multiple years split and stacked to lose its moisture. If it's hard to get started, smolders, and puts out a lot of smoke that's a sign that it's not seasoned.

I'm assuming since it's your "first couple weeks cutting, stacking and burning wood" the wood you're attempting to use is recently cut. Unless you purchased the wood you want to burn right now?(even if purchased it's unlikely it's seasoned) If it's recently cut the surface moisture isn't the issue it's the internal moisture content. If this was cut weeks ago it might be good to burn in about 50 more weeks depending on the wood type. :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Welcome to the forum hinow41.

Hey everyone thanks for the welcomes. The wood I got has been drying for years. Trees that fell during sandy and storms before. Got a nice haul today almost have my pallet stack full. Started to snow before we could get next years wood split.
IMAG0101_zpsb957c19a.jpg

Hey everyone thanks for the welcomes. The wood I got has been drying for years. Trees that fell during sandy and storms before. Got a nice haul today almost have my pallet stack full. Started to snow before we could get next years wood split.

The wood has been cut and split for years or down from storms for years? Big difference, the seasoning process doesn't really start until it's split.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You can tell just by looking at your picture how fresh that wood is as it is still very "blond" in color; dry, aged wood will look black or at least a deeper, darker color than what it started out as, unless it is kept in a garage or other shelter from the elements. Like rdust said unfortunately you can't expect to burn that wood in the near future with any sucess; but you ARE on the right path at getting that ready to go for next Winter!

Welcome to the forum; we all had to learn the process and start somewhere!

Lot of the bigger stuff I got today is pretty fresh can tell by the weight and feel after splitting. The wood I have been burning seams dry, really light, hollow sound, bark falling off, burns easy and even tested some with my multi meter as described in the sticky. I think the wood looks really bright in the photo because there is a flood light and the light from my phone. I could be wrong like I said i am new to this.

Lot of the bigger stuff I got today is pretty fresh can tell by the weight and feel after splitting. The wood I have been burning seams dry, really light, hollow sound, bark falling off, burns easy and even tested some with my multi meter as described in the sticky. I think the wood looks really bright in the photo because there is a flood light and the light from my phone. I could be wrong like I said i am new to this.

Well you're using an older stove so right off the bat it should be a little more tolerant. Still good you're trying to use dry stuff and burn clean! How's the snow on the east end? Just a dusting here in Stony Brook.

Well you're using an older stove so right off the bat it should be a little more tolerant. Still good you're trying to use dry stuff and burn clean! How's the snow on the east end? Just a dusting here in Stony Brook.
not much here at all, just enough to get the roads wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.