1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Drying Thai Hot peppers?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Beetle-Kill, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    I'll end up with about a 1/4 full margarine container full by tomorrow. What's the best way to dry them, or are there better ways to preserve them? They're supposed to be 1 of the top 10 hottest out there, so I have no intention of using them all anytime soon.
    Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    I freeze mine on a cookie sheet. Then freezer bag them.Same with the habenaros.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I've tried to dry peppers without heat or a dehydrator and ended up with mold inside. Thais are usually small enough that they might work strung via needle and thread through the stems and hung in a very warm dry place, but freezing would be a safe r option. Suck the air out of the ziplock bag with a straw to prevent freezer burn. I know how valuable stuff like that is when you grow it.
  4. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    Thank you, into the freezer they go. Then vacumn sealed bags and next, some stir fry or Mexican chile.
    Thanks again, JB
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We hang them upside down tied to a string and in a paper bag, then we just let it hang in a warm area of the house for a few weeks. They dry out very nicely. We're still using some from last year.
  6. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I freeze all peppers. They seem to keep forever. I would only dry them if you want to shake some flakes/dust on top of something after cooking. If you are going to cook the peppers freezing is a no-brainer...it is as easy as it gets. I just bag 'em and freeze 'em. Lee's idea might cut down on some frost, but frost doesn't bother me.
  7. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    I've still got some that are dark green, almost black. Do you harvest those, or leave them out for an unsuspecting squirrel?