1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

drying time for persimmon

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by tigeroak, Apr 15, 2013.

1. tigeroak

tigeroak Burning Hunk

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    Was wondering drying time as I got about a cord today. This stuff is huge about 30 inches across and had a heck of time loading by myself. Sorry I haven't been in here very much , taking care of wife.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Was it dead? I've gotten a little bit of it here and there but not a big quantity of fresh wood. High output wood, so I assume it would take a couple years to dry live wood...
    Nice score! :cool:
  3. tigeroak

tigeroak Burning Hunk

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    Nope green as grass and full of sap. Had sap all over me loading the big rounds , stuck to me like glue.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Tiger, I hope your wife is better. We've had some of the same problems here. Sorry I can't help with the persimmon. Never had the stuff.
  5. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    There are a few smaller ones scattered through the woods here. They get a little bigger if they get enough sun. Nothing even close to 30" though. :eek: If we don't get the fruit, deer and other critters will. The wood is hard as a rock; Back when golf "woods" were actually made of wood, Persimmon is what they used for top-of-the-line clubs. Beautiful grain in those old club heads.
  6. The Beagler

The Beagler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern Ky
    I got some persimmon several years ago. Two years & it was burning great! Puts out lots of heat. Had a few pieces left for this winter & it was outstanding! Two years, & you should be just fine. Three if you really want the maximum.
  7. punchy

punchy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    mid mo
    i had one blow over a few years back. only 8" around. i use it for smoking meat.
  8. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    I still have Persimmon woods in the bag.........I wonder if I could get a nights worth of heat of of a 1,2,3, and 4 wood :p
  9. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Well, it's pretty dense... :)
    I sometimes get annoyed with my driver. Do you think titanium would give a long burn? ;lol
  10. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    We heated with Persimmon for years when I was a kid. I have no idea how long it takes to dry <> It was cut one truck load at a time and burned immediately. It was Very wet and heavy. Given two or three years, it would probably be great. 25.8 MBTU/cord.
  11. tigeroak

tigeroak Burning Hunk

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    She found a small lump in her neck right above where the took the last one out and it was cancer again. They took it out and she has 9 more cemos to do. Hope yours gets better to.

I split and stacked about 1/2 cord today and this stuff splits [by hand] like a dream.