Drying time for poplar.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I am clueless. I dry poplar and pine two years. And even though it is moisture content wise burnable in six months to a year, you ain't gonna believe the burn time difference if you let it stay on the stacks longer. And that's my take.

I have no experience burning poplar, but agree with you 100% on pine. Last year I burned pine that was about 8 months dried, and it certainly caught and burned, but this year I've been burning a lot of it that has been drying for close to 18 months, and it is burning wonderfully.

I meant no disrespect to anyone, was just trying to wrap my head around it all, I'll go back in my corner now.

I dry poplar and pine two years. And even though it is moisture content wise burnable in six months to a year, you ain't gonna believe the burn time difference if you let it stay on the stacks longer. And that's my take.

Completely agree. I've burned BL after being seasoned for 7 months. It burned hot and clean but it threw no where near the heat it would have if It was seasoned at least a year. It was wood I was saving for this winter but I ran out of wood and needed it to heat the house this past MAY!

I have no idea what happens with the stuff. But it hardens and burns hotter and longer the longer it stays on the stacks. Found it out when I didn't need it for an extra year and was afraid it would burn like newspaper. Wrong!

"Crap" wood really is a different animal after years of seasoning compared to burning it ASAP isn't it? Back in the Spring I went hunting for some dry wood and I found a large Cottonwood limb that broke off during a storm. It was barkless and one end of it suspended off the ground. Perfect to take home and split and burn tonight! I don't know how long it was dead for but at least a few years. You'd think you were splitting dry BL. I couldn't believe how hard it split with the maul. Burned well though!

Yeah I am clueless. I dry poplar and pine two years. And even though it is moisture content wise burnable in six months to a year, you ain't gonna believe the burn time difference if you let it stay on the stacks longer. And that's my take.

I know I've gotten really spoiled with many years well seasoned wood. A moisture meter may be a great tool, but having old wood that you don't struggle with at all to make fire makes making fire incredibly easy.
It's like having a case of Chardonnay or any alcohol that improves with age and letting it age for another year or two. It was drinkable a while back but not like it is now.
You can't appreciate it until you've done it.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat

I have a stack that was overflow which I put aside for next season. So I'll see what you are talking about next year. But when t comes to pine, I get splits of 7%. What good would another year do?

Status
Not open for further replies.