Dual woodstoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Josie Wales

Feb 22, 2019
Canada
I live in a wood heated bungalow from 1960, the chimney runs from the basement up. I noticed a cutout in the basement for a stove, I would like to hook one up downstairs. Anything I should know about running one in the basement and on the main level?

I live in a wood heated bungalow from 1960, the chimney runs from the basement up. I noticed a cutout in the basement for a stove, I would like to hook one up downstairs. Anything I should know about running one in the basement and on the main level?
You need to have a separate flue for each stove. They cannot be run through the same one

Someone here ran both from the same chimney, but looks to have been a very long time ago.
Yeah it was very common and there are still plenty of people who do it. But it is against code and there are safety and performance issues

Two stoves is twice the work. That's what first came to me.

Reactions: Woody Stover