Duck Pen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

I have 8 ducks I'm raising for food and or eggs.

They are living in a big dog crate in my garage right now, but they are about a month old and the crate is getting small fast.

I need to build an outside pen for them, but I'm really not too sure how to go about building one.

How much room do 8 ducks need? I was thinking of more or less a box, maybe 6ftx6ft, couple 2x4s, few sheets of OSB. I don't think a chicken wire cage would be best cause it doesn't get all that warm here, 40s-50s at night, might touch 70s on a really nice day but not common.
Thinking to put an electric heater in there, keep it at 65-70*

Ideas?

I have been searching on google, but haven't found much info.

Do ducks need heaters? 6x6 seems like a good size for 8, pallets maybe?

I did some more reading and seems like 5-6 sqft per bird is about right. That would mean a 8x8 would be sized better.
I think I'll do 4-5ft walls so I can walk in there to clean it, build it like a house other than not so sturdy of course. Probably just do 24 OC studs, and some 7/16" OSB with a coat or two of paint to keep it from falling apart.

I'll put a small kiddie pool or rubermaid bin cut down so it's 4-5" deep in there for them to drink and swim.

Thinking maybe to leave the roof off when the weather is nice and once it gets cold this fall I'll throw a few sheets of OSB on and just staple some tar paper down.

I might try to keep them through the winter, so maybe I'll put some foam insulation. Will have to see how they pan out through the summer.

I had wanted to free range them, but with all the prey that live around here, I think it will be best to leave them fenced in instead. Plus even right now they are quick and hard to catch!

Space requirements are based upon the size of the mature birds and the manner they are being kept. A lot of folks under size and have to correct. You don't really want to know what happens when you under size things but this can be very gruesome.

Sure, just don't want to spend too much money on these things. Right now it's more of an experiment than anything. Some of the duck houses I found on the web... I'm surprised they didn't have a 48" LCD TV in them too. :eek:

My girls want a full blown movie theater along with a pop corn machine and disco ball, something about inviting the local rooster over.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.