Dumb question about permit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletman

Jun 3, 2008
Southeastern MA
Hi there,

I have a really dumb question regarding pulling a permit for a pellet stove. I went down to the town hall to pull a permit for the installation of my XXV. They gave me hassle, asking if I was pulling it for myself or for the installer. I didn't really know how to answer the question because I've never pulled a permit for anything before. He said I could pull the permit for myself and write down that I'm installing it myself (even though the installer will be installing it) or I could have the installer come down and pull the permit. He said it was better for the installer to pull the permit because the town hall would check to make sure that they have workers comp and licenses, etc.

So, my question is, does it matter? It's far easier for me to the pull the permit, and I'm not even sure that my installer will get the permit. In fact, I know of another installer in the area that states that the homeowner is responsible for getting all the permits.

Any advice? I don't want to do something stupid, especially if it will somehow affect my home insurance policy.

Thanks!

I see you live in MA. The answer is that contractors are required by law to have certain types of insurance. This is to protect you the homeowner. If the contractor does not have the right insurance and gets hurt while doing your job they can come after any insurance you have including a homeowner’s policy. If you are having a contractor install it, make them get the permit. They should already know this anyway if they are a legit contractor. The town will have to record the name of insurance company and policy number of the contractor plus the name of the bonding company. Your Homeowners Company will want a copy of the permit with the stove specs and signed off inspection by the town. If your installer will not get the permit then something is not right like the have no bond or insurance and most likely no license.

Exactly right. If it is being installed by the contractor, it is his job (and requirement) to pull the permit - and make sure he doesn't charge you more than the cost of the permit, some up the price if they have to pull it). If you, the homeowner are installing it, you can get the permit for yourself. But DO NOT pull the permit for the contractor, it's illegal.

If for any reason he (the contractor) doesn't want to, or insists that you pull the permit, find another contractor.

Either way, a permit MUST be pulled for you to install your stove, or the town can make you stop using it and make life difficult.

Steve

What I did was, I went to town hall and got the papers, brought them to the dealer and
had them fill them out with their information and give back to me.
They also provided me a copy of their insurance and license to bring back to Town Hall.
I also took copies of everything before handing everything over to the clerk.

As soon as I got the serial number for the stove, they released the permit to me and
gave me appt time for the inspector to come check the stove. After review, he signed
the permit and I was good to go. My insurance company required a copy of the signed
permit for their files.

I decided not to put on it that I was installing it myself because I figured I paid the dealer for
installation and they should be expected to back up their work if there were any problems.
That would be difficult to prove if the records showed I did the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.