Dumb question about sparks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwthomas1

Dec 20, 2011
Wakefield, RI
Hello All,
Just installed a Lopi Pioneer. Just breaking it in today and wondering about its operation. The stove heats nicely, about what I expected, and that is good! The question I have is about the way it burns pellets. As the pellets drop into the burn pot they disturb the flaming pellets and sparks break loose, fly about inside the stove, and some actually make it outside through the flue. The stove is vented straight out, level through the wall behind it with about 20" of vent pipe. The sparks fly out 2-3ft and then die. Looks neat at night but the wife (as expected) is somewhat concerned by this. Sound normal or maybe its the fuel? Using Geneva I got locally. Low, medium or high, damper in or out, still does it. Any info appreciated. TIA, RT

Since you went with the direct horizontal vent with no vertical rise, you will get some sparks. I'd make sure there's nothing combustible under the exhaust, or even more preferable to that, is to add 3-4' of vertical rise.....in the event of a power outage, it will help remove smoke from stove inside of going inside the house.

As for the sparks inside the firebox, that is perfectly normal.

BTW, we need to see pics of the final install, or as we say here, "no pics = it really never happened" :lol:

C'mon, it's a tradition - do it!

j-takeman said:
Uh Oh, Here we go again!

Any bushes near the sparks?

Awww Com'on, I know you and Imacman want to end the year on a Bang or maybe some Big Sparks! LOL

Eatonpcat said:
imacman said:
j-takeman said:
Any bushes near the sparks?

Nope...we only fully trimmed bushes on this forum. ;-P

I'm out...Looking for the unmember me button!!! You guys are trimming your bushes :ahhh: ??? Probably shave your backs too!!! :lol:

Macs like gorilla, gotta trim and shave otherwise the little kids get scared. :lol:

rwthomas1 said:
Yep, that did it. I did try searching on sparks from flue but didn't get any of those threads coming up. Thanks for the heads up though.... RT

I hope that you don't live in So Calif.
Call the manufacturer or Simpson Duravent. They will explain it to you and set you up with the proper fix.

Attachments

• 36_11_6.gif
    36_11_6.gif
    23 KB · Views: 469
imacman said:
lorne41 said:
DexterDay said:
Do a search on .... Nevermind. I will do it.

Here ya go... Funny as $hit.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/27591/

It's just as funny now as it was 3 years ago.....

And how about this classic thread, also starring Slickplant: (hint: She wanted to put me in a humidifier box :lol: )

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29072/

Ohh Yeah I remember, she had it in for you.... of course you egged her on a little ! LOL Good thing she couldn't find you, she might have delivered that box in person! I just ain't the same since she's gone!

IMacman to Slickplant35:

" Slickplant, where did you go????? Come back ‘lil slickplant…we want to help you "

Slickplant35 to ImacMan:

" Yes I am saving up to buy a box to put you in it. "

imacman said:
Since you went with the direct horizontal vent with no vertical rise, you will get some sparks. I'd make sure there's nothing combustible under the exhaust, or even more preferable to that, is to add 3-4' of vertical rise.....in the event of a power outage, it will help remove smoke from stove inside of going inside the house.

As for the sparks inside the firebox, that is perfectly normal.

BTW, we need to see pics of the final install, or as we say here, "no pics = it really never happened" :lol:

X2, A min 3 feet vertical rise is recommended in many stove manuals. Also it will prevent gusts of wind coming into the stove and possibly blowing smoke into the room!

Also more importantly, With a vert rise the outside of the house will not get as dirty or catch on fire!!!

The vert pipe install could have caused this fire very easily!!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87087/

shoot i've been to every stove shop out there and I still can't find a spark bucket anywhere

:)

Salty said:
shoot i've been to every stove shop out there and I still can't find a spark bucket anywhere

Woodsman bought all of them.....

imacman said:
Salty said:

Woodsman bought all of them.....

No he didn't, I have a full and a modified Carl model here awaiting installation. I'm still collecting trash for the full Carl model.

Status
Not open for further replies.