Duraflame / firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamure

Oct 2, 2009
N. Nevada
Can you burn these things in a woodburning insert? I have a bunch in my garage, which I'm trying to clean out. Should I hang onto them for when my stove arrives, or should I give them away?

use them they will be fine

Dont forget to save a few to cut up as starter sticks! I know its cheating but you already got em, and they really are cheating wich is why i like em! I had a box of old logs and sliced em into 2"x2"
squares, used them things for awhile to start wood fires.

"Technically" there is probably some portion of the manual which states to burn only clean dry natural wood. This is a little more critical if your stove has a catalyst. But on a non cat stove 'practically' you could get away with it. But I agree - save em for fire starters.

Yes, I cut them into 1/4 peices.

I cut one into waffers and then broke them in quarters. GREAT firestarters. I still have a bunch from last year. The fire does not go out once its cold so 1 log lasts probably 2 years! I really should just buy some of those supercedars. Tried them and they work even better!

Thanks everyone. I have only a couple of the logs, but a whole box of the "firestarters," which are like little 2x4" bricks wrapped in paper. You just light the corners of the paper on fire. So it looks like they already did the work for me of cutting the logs up. :)

Also, I have some firestarter which is like breadcrumbs. It's recycled waxed cardboard boxes. The directions say you put like a handful of that in there and light it, and you don't need newspaper, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.