Duraliner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazeedan

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2006
SW Michigan
I just bought a Hearthstone Homestead to install in front of my manufactured fireplace. I was wanting to reline my chimney. I currently have a double wall prefab chimney. The outer pipe is about 11" and the inner pipe is 8" inches in dia. I told the stove shop what my situation was and they sold me the 6" duraliner. Now I'm reading the cap instuctions and it says it's for relinning a masonary chimmneys. Is there a different product I should be looking at or what?

Thanks,
Dan

Do you have the duraliner rigid that is pre-insulated? You will need to make sure your liner is insulated if not. You also need to make sure you do not block or restrict the outer cooling air chamber of the old prefab pipe. You might need something like the Homesaver FBLA to put up top to keep the cooling air open.

Here's what I said about an insert into a ZC in another thread, same stuff applies.

Installing an insert into a ZC Box....

-You must leave everything in the ZC box in tact, refractories, etc… There a few things you can remove, I think the smoke baffle and the damper, maybe one other part. Everything else must stay.

-You must insulated the liner since it is unknown if that pipe would pass current 2100 degree testing. Your liner must meet 2100 degree rating

-You MUST leave the cooling air for the old ZC chimney in tact. This can be acomplished two ways. Use the old ZC cap and suspend the liner inside it. Or get a Homesaver FBLA from Copperfield.

-The insert must be approved for ZC installation

I think that's about it.

I checked the Homestead manual and it looks to be approved for ZC installation at least....

The liner I have is Simpson Duravent Duraliner. It's double walled and insulated. I was planning on leaving the outer cooling ring open. I was planning on sticking a ring of stove pipe insulation around the liner at the bottom to keep air from escaping between the liner and the 8" pipe. Is it ok today seal top between the 6" liner and the 8" pipe.

Thanks,
Dan

You can seal up the inner flue area with extra ceramic insulation or a plate, but the outer cooling air must be allowed to breathe still, this is the tricky part.

Status
Not open for further replies.