Durango chimney damper & heat reclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
Well after looking a while for a used or new airtight qboxstove design stove (i like loading this way, but i guess I'm in minority) i bought this stove and getting ready fo install. I only need the interior pipe because the 6" exterior pioe is already in place and good.

I have my collar and 2 sections of duravent double wall adjustable pipe to connect to my ceiling box.

Question, the stove is "airtight" and has air control but should I still install a damper just above the collar? Do any good or just more to go wrong? Any benefits?

Also, I've seen the heat reclaimer boxes go for $100 to $300, are they worth it? Is there an as-good or better way that is less costly? On my upstairs stove i have chimney pipe with a oscilating fan and ceiling fan only, and i don't know if i should try to capture more heat on this new stove doanstairs or just keep it straight pipe.

I know i don't want anything that requires electricity to have the pipe vent right, in case of power outage. If i install anything in the chimney pipe it must be passive and/or work fine if power is out too.

Thanks!

Not sure on the damper but I would stay away from the heat reclaimer. All wood, even dry creates creosote and the reclaimer is where it's going first. My brother-in-law had one on a stove in his garage. One day last year he saw black smoke coming out of the pipe and inside garage, the reclaimer and pipe were glowing red. After he got the fire down and cool he pulled it off, tossed it in the trash and replaced all the pipe to the ceiling.

Reactions: Owen1508
This is an EPA exempt 35:1 stove. It requires the flue collar damper for regulating the fire. Don't put a heat reclaimer on it, especially not with double wall connector. It you want more heat get a more efficiently designed stove. The flue is not a heater.

I like stoves that load that way too. Are we talking about a vogelzang durango or are there older stoves called durango? I was just looking at the vogelzang durango on the northern tool website the other day, and it says they are epa certified. It has secondary burn tubes (Turbo Burn ;lol).
Either way I would put a damper in the stove pipe. Gives you control of the draft.

I was thinking the Frontiersman. Read it too fast. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.