Stovepipe Heat Reclaimers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steveh2112

Jan 14, 2024
ithaca ny
what do you all think about Stovepipe Heat Reclaimers?
here's a passive one but i guess you could add a box fan behind it

and an active one which obviously need a lot more installation.

he says he got a massive efficiency improvement with the active one.

i wonder what the experts on here think about these?

by the way, i assume i'll use a heat powered stove top fan also
thanks

Last edited:
There are dozens of past threads on this topic. They cool down the flue gases, often leading to excess creosote production. The stove is the source of heat, not the flue piping. The Magic Heat in particular is often called a creosote machine. And the fan is noisy.

Get a modern stove if still burning an old classic.

Yes, I had the original Caframo stove fan and it did ok but after about 10 yrs it died, probably the motor bearing were shot. I replaced it a few years ago with a $45 VonHaus which pushes a lot more air, you can easily feel the difference. At full speed it'll blow out a candle at about 2 ft. My guess is the difference it has a stronger motor and more aggressively pitched fan blades.

If you still have the old Caframo, replacement motors are available.
I saw that, though it was not an option at the time. It was cheaper to replace it.

Reactions: Nevins MHP
I use 2 Caframo fans 175cfm each, they have elevated the furthest areas of the house by 2.5° - 3°. They have worked great for me, not certain that the 125cfm or lower cfm models work as well. However you can change the 125cfm motor to 175cfm motor in less than 10 minutes ( available on Amazon ). Just love how quiet these are, '' the sound of silence '' !

Stove & Pipe .jpg

i love my Canadian fans...