Stove Pipe heat reclaimer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bgxk

Nov 14, 2023
KS
I am interested based on experience of others to know which heat pipe reclaimer works best ( which pipe will extract more heat from fire without loosing it etc )...I am giving 2 examples here

1703629120506.png
This one with a small fan on bottom side or this other with 6 small pipes which we call it as pipe radiator...both 1 meters long in diameter Fi 200 ( 200mm )

1703630670155.png

Thank you in advance if you have other ideas which work better please let me know.

I am interested based on experience of others to know which heat pipe reclaimer works best ( which pipe will extract more heat from fire without loosing it etc )...I am giving 2 examples here

View attachment 321430
This one with a small fan on bottom side or this other with 6 small pipes which we call it as pipe radiator...both 1 meters long in diameter Fi 200 ( 200mm )View attachment 321431

Thank you in advance if you have other ideas which work better please let me know.
What stove would this be used on

Ok that is a zero clearance fireplace and needs to be used with only the specified chimney components. You can't use any heat reclaimer at all
1703636262021.png

I have access to it from inside and this is the stove pipe I have put there but I am interested in other configurations which work better than this one so thats why I opened topic for difference between the two models I proposed or if is something better than those.

View attachment 321434

I have access to it from inside and this is the stove pipe I have put there but I am interested in other configurations which work better than this one so thats why I opened topic for difference between the two models I proposed or if is something better than those.
Uhhh. What unit is this

The one in the 2nd picture is the best…

…and is similar in concept to a much older Rosemont Radiator design…and were used with anthracite coal (light gray non-combustible fly ash…aka no black combustible soot or creosote from burning wood).

Not to be used with wood….as it’s a creosote monster.

In regard to the Rosemont Radiator…

Last edited:
View attachment 321434

Also this is probably why your fireplace smokes

Also this is probably why your fireplace smokes
nope its not related to this ( fireplace has a bad design secondary airflow coming from top of glass is too wide so I had to use fire rope to make it tighter and no more smoking issues )

I want to extract more heat from pipes so lets focus in type of pipes which work better.

To the OP…don’t confuse what you have with the Rosemont Radiator. Anthracite coal and wood, as well as the draft required for each are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

An Anthracite fire and a chimney burning anthracite doesn’t need much draft and therefore those people of that time period and those using the same stoves today can get by with far less draft than a wood stove/fireplace needs.

I will concede something like this would work far better on a fireplace chimney than it ever would with a stove chimney because so much heat is lost up the chimney of the fireplace and that chimney is hotter than a typical stove chimney would run.

Still, I wouldn’t recommend using it simply because cleaning it will be a nightmare. If you’re dead…because the thing gets clogged with glazed creosote and burns your house down, then there’s no cleaning nightmare to be had.

nope its not related to this ( fireplace has a bad design secondary airflow coming from top of glass is too wide so I had to use fire rope to make it tighter and no more smoking issues )

I want to extract more heat from pipes so lets focus in type of pipes which work better.
Or your draft is nowhere near where it's supposed to be because the chimney isn't right which caused the smoking

Do you have any idea which stove pipe is best to reclaim the heat ?

Neither of them should be used on a wood burning appliance. Bholler is a certified chimney sweep. Listen to him, he knows what he’s talking about. You’re trying to reclaim heat out of a fireplace that’s designed for ambiance and not to provide any actual heat to the home.

If you wanted to heat your home with wood you should be using an actual wood stove or wood stove insert.

Reactions: all night moe
You’re trying to reclaim heat out of a fireplace that’s designed for ambiance and not to provide any actual heat to the home.

If you wanted to heat your home with wood you should be using an actual wood stove or wood stove insert.
Agreed 100%. Look for a modern design BK to fit the opening. It looks like you have the room.
Another note, your pic in post #4 shows cold air intake at the floor and heat vents above. A real heater in your fireplace will make those circulate some air.

Everyone is giving you good advice. Your current chimney is a recipe for disaster. There isn't even a way to sweep the chimney without disassembly, and the exchanger still can't be swept.

Even better get a free one :ZZZ;lol