Duraplus Chimney Pipe Not Locking Together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they both the same size? 6", 7", or 8".

I don't recall if it is possible but surely you checked that you don't need to flip one over? My newest duraplus stuff went together great.

Yes they are exactly the same pipes. It seems like right when they start to feel snug, they just twist past the point of locking. The instructions say I can use some small sheet metal screws to secure them together at the lock joint. Maybe I'll just do that.

I got that problem solved with some small sheet metal screws. I had another question (I know I have a lot). When looking up the chimney pipe from inside the house, I can see a small gap where the 2 pipes meet. Its where the pipe slides over the crimped seam of the other pipe. Is this normal or is it going to leak smoke from there?

Are you now talking about the connector pipe? Pictures would be very helpful here. We can't see what you are seeing.

tmp_IMG_20140312_220024_754-1223726457.jpg
See where the crimped seam goes under the pipe on top of it? There is a small gap that doesn't fit tightly against the other pipe. The picture isn't the best quality, but I think you can see what I mean.

Doesn't look serious but help me orient myself. Is this looking up the chimney pipe toward the cap?

If the pipe joints are square and not skewed then should be ok. What type chimney pipe is this?

Sounds good. I have only used DuraTech, double-wall. No experience with DuraPlus.

Status
Not open for further replies.