Duratech Elbows & Other Chimney Install Headaches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walindour

Oct 11, 2008
NW WA
Hi folks,

I have been a lurker here for some time and have recently purchased an Avalon Rainier wood stove. It is replacing a propane stove that once replaced an old smoke dragon of the past. I have learned quite a bit from these forums over the past few months and decided to install my own stove but I'm now stuck and I'd love some advice.

With my stove I bought a Duratech stove pipe kit. It is a combination of DVL double wall pipe and SS Outer Pipe. I have a cathedral ceiling with an old ceiling support box already in place (from the old wood stove). If I was to come straight down from the existing ceiling box into the new stove - my stove would stick out almost 30" from the back wall. So I'd like to use 45's to create an offset so that I can back the stove closer to the back wall. I have found the 45's but have also found the information that states that 45 degree elbows aren't allowed in US all-fuel chimney systems. Apparently I can buy a pair of 45's (like my previous propane install) but I can't install them without breaking code. My Duratech installation instructions say the same thing - and to use 15 or 30 degree elbows. Since this is an interior offset I don't believe that there are 15 & 30 degree Duratech DVL elbows - only 45's.

In my shoes - would you either:

A. Install the 45 degree elbows if that was your only elbow option? I know you can't give advice that breaks the rules but it seems to me that there are plenty of interior offsets that work just fine but are not to code. I looked at the hearth.com galleries to make sure I wasn't completely nuts.

B. Install the pipe straight (which is better for draft, etc - I know) and deal with the fact that the stove invades a fairly small space?

C. Pull the old support box from the ceiling, patch the old hole in the roof, cut a new hole and install the new support box that came in the kit? Seems crazy but it would allow me to put the stove exactly where I want.

I have called the company I bought the stove from but they haven't been much help - a topic that deserves a different thread. I have called Duratech technical support but they have a wait time of 24 hours for a call back. Wrong time of year to be stressing about heating issues I suppose (my wife agrees). And I have called 4 certified installers but haven't gotten anything but answering machines - no call backs regardless of how polite I sound. I'm not the demanding type.

So I turn to all of you folks in hopes that someone will help me keep my marriage sane by helping me to, as my wife put it, "just put the pipe in the stove, shove it up through that thingy and light a fire - I'm cold!"

Thanks,
Kevin

I am not an expert but this is my understanding, you can not have a 45* in chimney( duratec), but is is OK to have a 45* or a 90* in the stove pipe(DVL). Your situation sounds similar to mine, I installed 2 45* to offset my stove closer to the wall. Here is a pic of my installation.

Attachments

• Picture 135.jpg
    Picture 135.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 328
Thanks for the quick response. That image is similar to what I would like to do. I have come to the same conclusion as well about the 45's being installed on the interior pipe but haven't had anyone knowledgeable verify that notion yet. Did you have your install inspected by a certified chimney tech.?

Great - thanks a million! I appreciate the clarification and will wiggle my stove back to where I originally wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.