Duravent Cleanout leaks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnbiker727

Feeling the Heat
Mar 11, 2019
PA
I have now had my P68 for a full calendar year, and absolutely love this stove. The heat is awesome, I love the analog controls.... etc.

I love everything about the stove... EXCEPT. FOR. THIS. PART. (See photo). I HATE this cleanout.

There has to be a better way than making a horrible mess with tape and silicone. Is there supposed to be a rope at the top of the cap inside the pipe? If I don't goop up the bottom inch or so of the cap smoke will leak out of the seam where the pipe and cap meet, and out of a crease near the bottom of the cap, because the smoke goes in between the walls of the cap and squeaks out the bottom. Cleaning the pipe is a serious chore because I have to scrape the silicone away with a screwdriver or utility knife so I can get the cap off. I tried tape down there the first time, which was a lot harder to get off.... THEN when I try to put it back together, it's really hard to get a good seal with the old goop still on there.

Attachments

• 20200107_183256.jpg
    20200107_183256.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 206
Maybe I should clarify.... the only part I currently have an issue with is right here....
20200107_183256e.jpg

What JRemington is saying, and correct about, you are missing the pellet stove appliance adapter that connects to the exhaust flange.
Setup goes: adapter (do a simple google search) > stove pipe > t-cleanout.

Regarding the clean out problem, you have to pack the seam full high temp silicone. I had to do the same thing on my p68 setup. You can also use the silicone or high silicone tape on the outside.

I purchased a soot eater and run through my setup from the outside all the way to the cleanout, while having an ash vacuum going through the esp pathway to suck the ash. I also use the blower port on the vacuum to blow out the ash. I repeat this process a few times. I've never removed the cleanout. If that piece continues to give you a fit, the t-section may have to be replaced (could be bent).

I have the black clean out aswell with a lil square handle, and 2 screws holding it in place, there is suppose to be a gasket, I siliconed my gasket in place so that it wouldn't get dumped with the ash, I use no silicon on the cleanout connection because you have to clean it out, and have no dust or leaks. Most stoves are 3" exhaust, you should have a 3" to 4" adaptor if that pipe is 4".