Leaking cleanout t cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spin3

Jan 31, 2023
Southern New Hampshire
Hi! Newbie here. We have a comfort bilt stove, love it so far! My question is, does the cleanout t cap leak? Not from the seam (where we were expecting) from from space at the top between the inner and outer layers? We took it off to clean it for the first time, put it back and it leaked while the stove was lighting. Took it off again to inspect it and rethread it back on and it still leaked a little. Is there supposed to be a tiny bit of space between inner and outer where the cap meet threads into the rest of the pipe? Thanks for your help!

I think we're going to need pics of where you're talking about.

Screenshot_20230201_152345_Chrome.jpg

There are spaces between the inner pipe and outer layer, is this for venting of some sort? It is the only thing i can see that would be leaking. I saw smoke coming out of the bottom of the cap when the stove is lighting . . .
That will not seal tight enough to stop all leakage.
It has not leaked since installation in Nov. Just started wehnwe removed the cap of cleanout and put it back. Do you suggest another type of cap?

If it was fitting that tight before,I'd wipe all surfaces clean and try to install it again.

Try lighting off a charge of paper to get the flue drafting strong. How did the rest of the fire burn after the smoke stopped coming out?

There are spaces between the inner pipe and outer layer, is this for venting of some sort? It is the only thing i can see that would be leaking. I saw smoke coming out of the bottom of the cap when the stove is lighting . . .

It has not leaked since installation in Nov. Just started wehnwe removed the cap of cleanout and put it back. Do you suggest another type of cap?
That is pellet vent. Those notches are part of the locking mechanism