DuraVent Double vs Triple Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacinJosh

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2015
Crestwood, KY
Ok guys, thoughts on DuraVent? Good quality stuff? Any other brands you like better?

According to their website it looks like the clearance requirements are the same for their double and triple wall so what am I missing? Why would you chose one over the other? Seems like the DuraTech would be the way to go. Smaller diameter and same clearance.

Also, can you order a "kit" or do you have to buy all the pieces individually? Looks like there are lots of pieces I will need but I'm not sure of everything I actually do need. Any good how-to's on here or walk throughs? My setup is pretty much s straight shot up. Ceiling, straight up through a chase, straight up into the attic a couple of feet, and then straight out the roof.

Thanks for any advice.

Ok guys, thoughts on DuraVent? Good quality stuff? Any other brands you like better?
It is middle of the road pipe. It is absolutely not bad pipe at all but the fit and finish of ventis and excell are better.

According to their website it looks like the clearance requirements are the same for their double and triple wall so what am I missing? Why would you chose one over the other? Seems like the DuraTech would be the way to go. Smaller diameter and same clearance.
the triple wall stuff is cheaper because it has half the insulation that the double wall stuff does. the air space does the rest to keep the outside temp down but it does not keep the temp inside up as much as the double wall stuff

Ok thanks. I'll look into Ventis and Excell.

Question, is there any need to insulate a chase that is indoors? And if so, what do you use? I assumed insulated a chase was a no no code-wise but I've read elsewhere on here that guys have done it for outdoor chases.

Mine is inside a bedroom. I haven't looked yet, but I bet the inside of this is not insulated.

7453e6ef24ad6e1b69eca67c0ad6451d.jpg

Question, is there any need to insulate a chase that is indoors? And if so, what do you use? I assumed insulated a chase was a no no code-wise but I've read elsewhere on here that guys have done it for outdoor chases.
no need to but you can and can use any insulation as long as you maintain the clearance requirements.

We just installed the Duraplus triple wall through-the-wall kit. The instructions were not overly helpful. We ran into several problems, the first being that the kit came with the connector for a thin exterior wall that is typical in southern homes, so we had to order a longer connector because our exterior walls are thicker up here in the northeast. Delay. Not sure why it comes standard as a "southern kit." Then, the tee support bracket does not have pre-drilled holes so that was another added step. The wall thimble cover gets pretty beat up during install and has to have a touch up of paint. It was pretty costly and took longer than expected to install but now that it is in, we are pretty happy with it. The clean-out is easy to get to for future sweeping. I've read that the SS pipes can collect creosote quicker but we've only been burning for a couple weeks so time will tell. HTH

Reactions: Woody Stover
I've used DuraTech (double-wall) on several installations and like the product. Parts fit well and there have been no issues with seams, leaks, drips etc.. No comment on DuraPlus, never installed it.

I've used DuraTech (double-wall) on several installations and like the product. Parts fit well and there have been no issues with seams, leaks, drips etc.. No comment on DuraPlus, never installed it.
I dont use it much but the few times i have it does not fit as nice the components are not as easy to work wit hand adjust. And there have been enough on here complaining about leaks in the crimped seam stuff for it to be a concern. Like i said it is by no means bad pipe but it is also not top of the line.

DuraTech does not have the seam problem that Selkirk Metalbest has. Whether it is top of the line was not the question. A Honda may not be a Mercedes, but it's still very good transportation. ;)

DuraTech does not have the seam problem that Selkirk Metalbest has. Whether it is top of the line was not the question.
Ok i really though that i had seen some complaints about Simpsons stuff leaking to but i could be wrong.

Good deal, Excel is first class chimney.

Ok, Ventis website says they don't sell to homeowners. Dealers only. And yet, I can't even find a dealer locator on their website. Hmmmm

Ventis is only sold to professional installers.

Hard to be a mind reader sometime. :cool:

Reactions: Woody Stover
Just a few things you may need other then the class a pipe.
From the stove - if running dvl pipe you may need a appliance adapter to connect the dvl to the stove.
Ceiling support box, perhaps some 2x6's to adequately frame for the support box.
Class A pipe from support box through the chase.
Fire stop insulation shield once you enter the attic.
Through the roof kit (make sure its compatible with your roof pitch)
Lengths of class a chimney *remember the 3-2-10ft rule
*Chimney brace if your chimney extends higher than 4ft past your roof height.
*Silicone caulk to hit the seams of the chimney and storm shield.
Chimney cap.

I used the dura plus all purchased from home depot twice on my house, I didn't have any problems with the kits, thought everything went together pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.