Duravent Double Wall Black Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I just purchased a used, but in great condition, Harman oakwood wood stove and I want to tie it into an existing masonry chimney located entirely outside the house.

I have plenty of clearance on height. However, I'm tight with clearance along the sides which forces me to use double wall. I've located the center of the 8x12 flue and it is 15" offset to the center of the room, where the stove will be located.

So, planning my pipe route is farly simple. Duravent has a stovepipe adapter with a built in damper. Out of that, I need a 18" piece to maintain 24" rise per the stoves installation instructions. Because of the 15" offset, I'll have to install a 45 degree elbow, another "length X" piece of pipe before using a 90 degree elbow and entering the chimney with another 18" piece of pipe to maintain 13" off the wall from the back of the stove.

Question #1: Using Duravent's dimensions on the 45 degree and 90 degree elbows, "Length X" is just under 8". According to their brochure, there is an "adjustable" black pipe and "telescoping" black pipe. Would the adjustable 6" be suitable for this application?

Question #2: There's a masonry thimble with slip Connector. The brochure states it's to connect to their duraliner brand. What If I want to simply connect it to a clay thimble?

I am not qualified to answer any questions just wanna say however that one of the adjustable you have to cut to size and the other think it is the telescoping actual just slides to the proper length. That is less hassle IMHO.

I am also not qualified to answer most of your question.

However, I will second the use of the telescoping section. It will make pulling it apart for cleaning much easier.

With an 8" by 12" exterior chimney, for a 6"stove outlet that is more than double the area required. Slow cold flue gases will be a result.
Poor draft for that EPA Harman. Line that sucker as a minimum. Insulate it to be better. Forget that stove pipe with the built in adapter, unless your pushing more than 30ft with the liner.
My thoughts anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.