Dust Deputy as ash vac?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
Anybody use a Dust Deputy to clean out their wood stove?
With the ash and coals being dropped into the bucket my DD is attached to instead of my shop vac I was wondering how it would handle hot coals.
Thanks, and happy holidays!

Okay, in case you aren’t familiar, a Dust Deputy is a cyclone dust separator that goes between your shop vac and an additional hose. You attach it to your shop vac and add another hose that you vacuum with. The heavy particles get separated after the air vacuumed enters the DD on its way to the shop vac. Because of the shape and baffles as the air tries to make it to the shop vac it cyclones up the DD and the weight of the particles cause the heavy particle to fall into the to which plastic bucket the DD is attached. Your shop vac stays clean because everything ends up in the Dust Deputy.
Aren’t there any woodworkers here?

Aren’t there any woodworkers here?
Much to small for a wood worker
Use a dust collector . The collector you have explained would have to be emptied
after ever 2 passes of my planer or jointer or shaper . OK for the table saw maybe
Would not use it for ash ( plastic and hot ash not good )

I have a 2 stage dust collector, this is great for when I’m outside the shop.
Up to what temperature do you think this would work? I was looking for a metal drum this size but couldn’t find one.

personally i wouldn't try it to suck up hot coals, especially in my own house. that much air rushing over coals will make a flame thrower. now trying it outside after handing my beer to the wife and saying watch this would be kinda cool >>

Reactions: Hasufel