1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Dutchwest 2500 Baffle

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by num1hitter, Oct 12, 2012.

1. num1hitter

num1hitter Member

Loc:
    Reading, PA
    Has anyone actually used this as a baffle replacement? I just took the baffle out of my DW2500x02 insert because of warping and a hole. I am looking at either using this stuff on ebay ($75) or purchasing a new assembly made heavy gauge steel($250). I submitted a question to the seller about using the fiberboard as a baffle. He indicated that it would work great but you need to be careful when loading wood since it is able to be cut with a utility knife. Does anyone think it is worth trying and risking $75 or just ordering a new assembly? Thanks for any help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. whiskeypete

whiskeypete New Member

Loc:
    North Central CT
    How did you get the baffle out of the dw2500x02 insert. Mine warped as well but it feels like its welded in? I bought a new insert but i'd like to use the dutchwest in my basement.
  3. num1hitter

num1hitter Member

Loc:
    Reading, PA
    I had to take out all of the tubes. The cotter pins were tough to get out. I pushed the baffle up then lodged a screwdriver between a tube I was not working on to give me room to straighten the cotter pin backs. The pipes were not too easy to get out as well but after some persistence they came out. You have to push them as far in the hole to free one side then you have to work it by spinning the tube and pull it down to the bottom corner of the door. Once each of the tubes is out the baffle is free to come out. The baffle just sits on brackets and can be pushed up and over to lower into the box. It came down into the box easily but since mine was also badly warped so it took some messing around with it to get it out. You need to get one of the corners in the flue opening and then it should come out. I was thinking about using a grinder to cut a corner off if I couldn't get it out.
  4. num1hitter

num1hitter Member

Loc:
    Reading, PA
    The baffle has a fairly large hole in it and it is significantly warped. I would like to get something new in there that does not into the firebox like this one does. Do you think that putting kaowool on top would make it burn more efficiently? I am fairly new to burning so any input is greatly appreciated!