Dutchwest stove in flood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Hello all! Would a stove from a hurricane flood be damaged beyond use? I would imagine that it would need a good cleaning. Maybe if it had a catalyst, that would be trash but I don't know. Opinions please. Is a Dutch west an epa stove or has that name been used for 40 yrs?

mellow said:
Depends, was it flooded with salt water?
No salt water.

The Dutchwest has been made since the 80's and some of them probably wouldn't be worth restoring at all. Can you provide a model number of the stove as that will help date how old it is and whether it is a cat or non cat

certified106 said:
The Dutchwest has been made since the 80's and some of them probably wouldn't be worth restoring at all. Can you provide a model number of the stove as that will help date how old it is and whether it is a cat or non cat
Thanks, I will get back with the model #.

gzecc said:
certified106 said:
Thanks, I will get back with the model #.
Model # 2461

gzecc said:
Model # 2461
My Dutchwest small cat is a 2460. I think that's the number for the large cat. As I recall, there are conflicting theories on what the serial numbers mean in terms of the age of the stove...

The 2461 is the newer style Dutchwest with airwash on the glass. It may be worth refurbishing depending on the shape of the stove but I would pretty much plan on an overhaul on most of the stove. Chances are it will need a new cat, possibly a new refractory housing if it was underwater, repainted, and new gaskets. My guess is $300-$400 to get it going. Just as a point of reference I sold a refurbed 2461 this fall for $700 and it sold in about 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.