DVL adjustable 12" question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie24361

Aug 13, 2008
Southwest Virginia
I just got in my DVL pipe from dynamitebuys. I have a question about the adjustable 12"double wall pipe. The back of stove will be 12 inches from the wall (Encore 2550-heat shield-wall shield), and the thimble will stick out about 2 inches out from the wall to be flush with the wall shield we are building. This gives me about 10 inches of horizontal distance, but I know it will not be quite that much because of the bend/lip in the elbow. The adjustable 12" pipe says it will adjust from 3" to 10", but I really don't see any way it can be less than ~12". The piece has 12" adjustable dbl wall pipe on it, so I do not think it is in the wrong box.

What do I need to span the ~10" space between the dvl double wall elbow and DuraLiner Masonry Thimble? I have the chimney adapter.

Has anyone returned anything to dynamite buys? I just don't see any way this piece will ever be <12" unless I cut it, and I really want to do it right and not cut any of the double wall pipe.

Thanks

If I understand the rules correctly, the class A pipe is required to stick out past the wall shield 6" in order to maintain the 6" clearance to combustibles for the DVL pipe.

If the pipe is 12" collapsed you may have the wrong pipe. There are two lengths of short DVL according to the Simpson catalog. There is the 6 to 9" (8685)adjustable and the 12 to 19" adjustable (8687). It sounds like you need the 6-9" piece - #8685, though you may be able to get away with a fixed 6" pipe once the class A extends 6" past the wall shield.

Attachments

• simpson-thimble.jpg
    simpson-thimble.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 234
I'm not sure the wall thimble is what I need. What I have is an older brick chimney covered with mortar. I was told was that the wallpaper/paint on the mortar was "combustible". I know it is mortar all the way to the brick because I have chipped away 12" around the location of the new thimble. I will have to remove a couple of brick to get the dura-liner oval tee to fit into the old chimney. When I replace the brick, I intend to install a terracotta thimble where the current metal one is now. I also intend to build a wall shield out of 1/2 inch durock covered with 1/4 inch tile one inch out from the wall using the CB198 plans from the USG site. I want the terracotta thimble to be flush with the wall shield. There will not be any combustible material within 12"of the thimble.

As to the 12" collapsed, there are no moving pieces on the 12" adjustable pipe. It is one solid piece. As near as I can tell, it is just supposed to be "slid up" on a piece of non-adjustable pipe.

Thanks

Attachments

• brick-thimble.JPG
    brick-thimble.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 217
Ah, my misunderstanding. I thought you were using a stock Simpson wall thimble. Thanks for the clarification and image. I'm wondering why install a T instead of up to an elbow then into the tile pipe with a straight piece? Also how does one get double wall pipe cleanly into the tile pipe? Have you looked at Simpson's masonry thimble to make this connection? I'm not sure if it would work as it is intended for connection between DVL and Duraliner, but it looks like it might work.

Attachments

• masonry-thimble.jpg
    masonry-thimble.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 200
I am using the masonry thimble you have pictured. I was told by Dale? at Simpson that that thimble had to be installed inside a terracotta thimble. Does anyone know if that is correct? The tee that I am talking about is the one at the bottom of the dura-liner that connects to the masonry thimble (picture below).
I want to do what you say, ie go from the elbow horizontally to the masonry thimble (pictured above). The problem is the fixed pieces of DVL are 6" and the next size it 12". I guess maybe I need the 6" piece of fixed and the 6" adjustable one . I am hoping that someone has worked with the dvl and has had the same situation before I order anything else. I am also looking for anyone that has had a return to dynamitebuys.com to see how "bad" it might be

Thanks

Eddie

Attachments

• tee.JPG
    tee.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 187
Am still looking for the answers to these DVL questions

1) How do I get a horizontal run somewhere about 10 inches long from the elbow to the Simpson Masonry Thimble?

2) Does the Simpson Masonry Thimble need to be run through a terracotta thimble?

Thanks

Ed, I am out of my experience range here but Craig's article seems to agree with the factory rep about the terracotta thimble. I've posted the options for DVL pipe above. If it's exactly 10" then you may need to plan on moving the stove back 2". If it's 9" then the 6-9" adj. should work.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

If you look at the "Installation Instructions" section of the DuraVent website you'll see they have an HTML version. These instructions are different from the PDF versions. Very strange! Anyway, there are supplemental instructions for duraliner thimble which show it being mortared directly into a masonry chimney.

http://www.duravent.com/?page=ts.php

From here choose HTML installation instructions and then "Duraliner and Direct Connect Masonry Relining Systems"

Also about your adjustable DVL pipe. Those sections only add length to a rigid piece of pipe. With the 6" section you can add from 2" to 4". With the 12" section you can add 2" to 10". They are not adjustable in themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.